cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Quick Q. Do Clients Typically Pay Less For a "Test" Article?

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
1 of 4

I already know the "should" answer, BTW... 😉 Because we bring the same level of care, expertise, research and so on to a test article as to any other, we "should" receive our typical rate.

However...what I want to know is on Upwork specifically, is it normal for a client to offer a lower rate of pay for a "test" article, particularly if a significantly higher rate is noted in the proposal?

Thanks!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 4

@Melanie H wrote:

I already know the "should" answer, BTW... 😉 Because we bring the same level of care, expertise, research and so on to a test article as to any other, we "should" receive our typical rate.

However...what I want to know is on Upwork specifically, is it normal for a client to offer a lower rate of pay for a "test" article, particularly if a significantly higher rate is noted in the proposal?

No, they don't want to pay normal rates so they pretend to have a well paid big project and collect lots of paid tests at a cheap rate .... of course the "big well paid" project then never materialises....

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
3 of 4

@Petra R wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

No, they don't want to pay normal rates so they pretend to have a well paid big project and collect lots of paid tests at a cheap rate .... of course the "big well paid" project then never materialises....

Thank you, Petra.

This person states one rate in the proposal, then has asked for an entirely different rate for this "test."

Is this something I'm supposed to report? I am not jumping to report anyone, I just really am not sure what's considered "okay" around these parts yet. 😄

This person does have 5 stars and a lot of reviews as the client. I messaged him back politely to thank him for his offer and to remind him of my pay rate and let him know that if he has anything in the future that would be a good fit for both of us, to contact me.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 4

I'd carefully read their profile. If they have a history of paying the proper rate I might do it. If all they ever paid out were "test jobs at test rates" - I'd pass.

Really it depends on how much time you have spare to gamble with. If I had nothing better paid on AND my gut told me that the client is legitimate, I might go for it.

Nothing really to report here, they're not breaking any terms of service.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS