🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Very Scary: Almost 160 connects spent wit...
Page options
robinhuood
Community Member

Very Scary: Almost 160 connects spent without any match

I have some doubts if "algorithms of match" WorkerXClients were changed last week. I'm user of Upwork since 2015. It's the very first time that i apply for a ton of proposals and simply clients even don't reply. Looks like worker proposal is invisible or something like this. I ask to myself if the systems were deliberately changed forcing workers to get the paid plan, thinking if might have a problem with their free accounts, promoting a massive gain with new paid subscribers to platform. But i'm just guessing and maybe i'm wrong. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jaycrutcher
Community Member

Robson J wrote:

I have some doubts if "algorithms of match" WorkerXClients were changed last week. I'm user of Upwork since 2015. It's the very first time that i apply for a ton of proposals and simply clients even don't reply. Looks like worker proposal is invisible or something like this. I ask to myself if the systems were deliberately changed forcing workers to get the paid plan, thinking if might have a problem with their free accounts, promoting a massive gain with new paid subscribers to platform. But i'm just guessing and maybe i'm wrong. 

You have a strong Behance portfolio, if you can't use any of that then you just have to create some original work. My portfolio is just stuff I do in my spare time. If clients could see what you're capable of you would have ten times your earnings by now.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
JoanneP

Hi Robson,

I understand that you are concerned about clients not replying to the proposals you have submitted. I know that it is really frustrating. Please know that clients do receive the proposals that freelancers submit. We cannot guarantee that clients will respond to every proposal you submit as the hiring decision is up to them. I'd recommend that you try the tips on how to write proposals shared on the following resources below:

How to Create a Proposal that Wins Jobs 

Craft an Eye-catching Proposal Every Time

Please also check out the resources here for more helpful tips.

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Robson J wrote:

I ask to myself if the systems were deliberately changed forcing workers to get the paid plan, thinking if might have a problem with their free accounts, promoting a massive gain with new paid subscribers to platform. But i'm just guessing and maybe i'm wrong. 

You're wrong. Getting the Plus plan has no effect on your chances of getting hired.

Your problem is your profile. You're in a very competitive category and have to make sure you stand out. Your profile doesn't. It's generic and worst of all, there is no portfolio. 

Most clients will rule out any artist without a portfolio. When there are literally dozens of applicants who demonstrate what they can do, why waste time on one who may or may not have a style the client likes, or be any good at all?

Also consider a better lit profile picture.

OK then. 6 years using the platform without any problem. Great changes to the way that clients understand my profile since...last week. Thank you   

6 years and 11 jobs, Robson. Not exactly prolific!

A portfolio might not be the only thing that matters, but you can be sure you will make things A LOT harder for yourself without one. Why would somebody interview you before seeing examples of your work first, especially in such a subjective trade? 

Why not just add a portfolio? You're an artist after all... 

But hey ho, it's your profile and your career, so it's your call. 

I'm sure that some people don't know that majority clients of graphic services do not like that we post their confidential projects to other people see. And 6 years 11 jobs maybe means that i don't work only here, genius

Robson J wrote:

I'm sure that some people don't know that majority clients of graphic services do not like that we post their confidential projecs to other people see

So you can't make some samples?

Robson J wrote:

.................... genius

Basically, from your reaction and responses, you didn't want advice or help, you just wanted to whine and spread your conspiracy theory that you don't get any contracts because Upwork deliberately hides your profile to make you buy a  premium membership...

Do you buy your groceries blindfolded?

Imagine a client needed to ask EVERY freelancer to share their portfolio one by one, then wait for them to reply and then decide if they want to work with them or not. As a client I look at the profile first, then read the proposal.

Just put some portfolios to your profile and you will be hired. 

Viacheslav K wrote:

Just put some portfolios to your profile and you will be hired. 

The baffling thing is that it probably is that simple.

Why on earth would somebody object to such straightforward advice? 

thanks for this good tips.

studioquixote
Community Member

Hello, as I mentioned in the previous text I'm also experience much less contracts in the past few weeks. People are from time to time sending really low offers under my minimum flexible rates. I'm in animartion-editing jobs. Spending much more connects and it looks something is different. I'm active at UW for few month and I was progressing well now it's like it stops. As I noticed it's not just me at least in this field. Hope we'll get some decent offers soon or something should be improved cause I'm maybe spending more than I can earn :). Good luck!

Marko K wrote:

Hello, as I mentioned in the previous text I'm also experience much less contracts in the past few weeks. People are from time to time sending really low offers under my minimum flexible rates. I'm in animartion-editing jobs. Spending much more connects and it looks something is different. I'm active at UW for few month and I was progressing well now it's like it stops. As I noticed it's not just me at least in this field. Hope we'll get some decent offers soon or something should be improved cause I'm maybe spending more than I can earn :). Good luck!

There's always these weeks of no work vs "please stop spamming your invites". It's mostly related to holidays (like Easter that was this month).

Good points with Easter free days. It could be it. Hope it will get back soon. Tnx.

Easter was a month ago....

2a05aa63
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Easter was a month ago....

There are two Easter in a year 😉 The orthodox one was last weekend.

Marko K wrote:

It always makes sense to use idle time to have a look at your profile to make sure it does not violate the ToS.

What do you mean by that?

Jennifer R wrote:

Marko K wrote:

It always makes sense to use idle time to have a look at your profile to make sure it does not violate the ToS.

I just saw the other day a moderator reply that you CAN put a personal website into your profile, but you should then ask the clients to use Upwork for hire.

Viacheslav K wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Marko K wrote:

I just saw the other day a moderator reply that you CAN put a personal website into your profile, but you should then ask the clients to use Upwork for hire.

Only if the website does not contain contact information. They've been pretty clear on that. 

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Chris,

Yes, you can share your external portfolios. Portfolios are an important part of a freelancer’s bidding process to show off their past work and their potential to complete a future project. That is why we are not prohibiting the sharing of external links to personal portfolios or other websites that provide examples of past work. We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When you share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place.

Thank you!

@Amanda

Yes ofcourse I want to play by the rules here just to be able to use this Great platform. I'm still new In this uncertain frelancing careere. So tnx for any help once again. 

petra_r
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

I believe that is in a proposal or during interview, rather than on the profile? It was never allowed to put a website with a way to contact you on the profile.

jaycrutcher
Community Member

Robson J wrote:

You have a strong Behance portfolio, if you can't use any of that then you just have to create some original work. My portfolio is just stuff I do in my spare time. If clients could see what you're capable of you would have ten times your earnings by now.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths