🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Very annoying client. Wanted me to work out o...
Page options
20462a84
Community Member

Very annoying client. Wanted me to work out of the scope of the job for free

I have this client named **Edited for Community Guidelines**. He needed some UI developed in react native. I worked on it and sent him the first iteration of the app. For which, he needed some features fixed and also demanded to work on 2 more features for free(which was not mentioned in the job posting). I said I cannot work for free, to which he got very rude. He was refusing me to pay for the work I did which was in scope. I said I'll file a dispute against him, he said he knows it was not in scope. Now he is asking me the cost of coding those 2 features. I am worried that If I go forward with this client he will leave bad reviews on my profile.

What should I do?

Thanks

Manav

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
caldus
Community Member

I'll assume that the milestone was actually completed like you said. In that case, the client should mark that milestone as completed and pay you. Then they should create a new milestone for the extra work they are asking. He is asking you how much the extra work will cost so you should give him that info so that he can create the new milestone. This is how I would handle it. If he continues to refuse paying you for the milestone you completed then file a dispute. Make sure that any work you submitted is attached to the milestone in Upwork. It will help with the dispute.

As far as potentially getting a bad review: There isn't much you can do at this point. Either he will or he won't. You have no control over that. Assuming you get the milestone stuff worked out with him, then just do the best you can until the end of the project. Maybe he'll give you a decent review at the end.

You did the right thing by stopping work until you get paid for the current milestone first. Do not continue working until he pays you and sets up the new milestone.

Personally, I never accept fixed price contracts anymore for these reasons.

ericaandrews
Community Member

All I needed to see was this part to advise you NOT to continue working with that client. 

"to which he got very rude. "

If he's going to leave a bad review, he's going to leave a bad review regardless.  However, if I were you, I would REPORT that client to Upwork for violating the terms of service by attempting to demand free work.  Take the money that you are owed for the work already completed and END the contract.  Never continue to work for a client that is behaving abusively or attempting to exploit you.  React is a very high-demand skill that you can market almost anywhere and plenty of decent clients that would be happy to have access to your skills: There's no need to tolerate abusive or exploitative jerks unnecessarily.  Take the money you earned, close the contract, report the client for the behavior of trying to demand free work, and if the client asks why you closed the contract, you explain to him/her that you don't provide services to abusive or unprofessional clients or customers.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: " Very annoying client. Wanted me to work out of the scope of the job for free "

Well... say "no".

The client needs to release payment when you have completed the agreed-upon task.

If he does not do so, then you may need to do this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment

tjofi
Community Member

Hi Manav,

If the milestone is funded, just submit your work to the contract and if the client doesn't respond within 14 days, the funds will be automatically released to your account as per Upwork's protection.
You can then end the contract and provide negative feedback to the client accordingly.

Regards,
~Filip
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members