🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Very confusing client that seems to be asking...
Page options
anateia
Community Member

Very confusing client that seems to be asking for extra work?

Hi guys! I'm very new to the freelance world and I have no one to ask about this stuff, so I'm just sitting here panicking.

This client is very strange and very hard to communicate with - even though they clearly speak english they way they express themselves has been a constant source of confusion. I definitely tried asking for clarification, it's just been more-or-less unhelpful.

Now they seem to be asking for something that was not mentioned in the initial proposal. I have tracked my work through the app and I have searched through the conversation looking for any mention of this extra item they want done, and this is the first time it was brought up. I told them that they didn't mention another complex drawing in their proposal and that it was described as "1 small text".

They haven't replied yet, but otherwise, I don't know how to handle this situation. If I refuse to do that work can they withhold the rest of the pay, even if I do all that is mentioned in the proposal? They paid by milestones, and I haven't yet delivered the rest of the work, because they didn't explain it properly.

How do I handle this situation? I'm scared they'll leave me a bad review. Do I have a say in this situation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Be firm but clear in explaining your original understanding of the agreed work product, requiring them to add a new milestone if there is signifcant additional work required by you to complete the project as they are now defining it. It isn't uncommon for a project to change, but your total pay should change, too.

Just be sure to communicate in writing using the project's message board; not via phone calls. Define for them in writing your new understanding of the additional work they are now asking for and what you would charge them for doing that work. 

At any rate, don't let the tyranny of the Job Success Score system force you to go far above and beyond the agreed work load without fair compensation. 

Don't work on any unfunded milestones.

Submit your substantially completed work so far under the relevant funded milestone(s), noting for the client exactly what little remains to be done on that work and what you need from them to get it done.

Wait for their response, whether it takes two hours or two weeks. Sometimes clients just disappear, never to be heard from again. After a couple of months of no communication, close the project.

In the meantime, get more projects to work on. The more projects you complete, the less effect any particular negative client feedback will have on your JSS.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Be firm but clear in explaining your original understanding of the agreed work product, requiring them to add a new milestone if there is signifcant additional work required by you to complete the project as they are now defining it. It isn't uncommon for a project to change, but your total pay should change, too.

Just be sure to communicate in writing using the project's message board; not via phone calls. Define for them in writing your new understanding of the additional work they are now asking for and what you would charge them for doing that work. 

At any rate, don't let the tyranny of the Job Success Score system force you to go far above and beyond the agreed work load without fair compensation. 

Don't work on any unfunded milestones.

Submit your substantially completed work so far under the relevant funded milestone(s), noting for the client exactly what little remains to be done on that work and what you need from them to get it done.

Wait for their response, whether it takes two hours or two weeks. Sometimes clients just disappear, never to be heard from again. After a couple of months of no communication, close the project.

In the meantime, get more projects to work on. The more projects you complete, the less effect any particular negative client feedback will have on your JSS.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the reply! It puts my mind at ease a bit. I tend to get  too worried and involved about any individual client. It's a learning process.
I've been very sure to communicate only on the project's message board and I also track my work through the app even if it's a fixed price project.

I told the client we can do the extra drawing if they add a new milestone with extra pay. Hopefully they will reply without hostility Smiley Very Happy

tlbp
Community Member

Head over to the New to Upwork discussions and read the help tips as well as several of the top posts. You will need to learn to negotiate defensively if you want to survive on Upwork. Every client is different and it will be up to you to align their expectations with what they are actually willing to pay for. 

Also, in general, the cheaper the client, the more unreasonable their expectations will be. 

anateia
Community Member

Thanks for the reply and advice, Tonya, I will check that out!

I have noticed over time working with other people that indeed the less they're willing to pay, the harder they'll be to work with. The worst are, funnily, the ones that are getting something for free.

Ana-Maria T wrote:

Thanks for the reply and advice, Tonya, I will check that out!

I have noticed over time working with other people that indeed the less they're willing to pay, the harder they'll be to work with. The worst are, funnily, the ones that are getting something for free.

Keep in mind clients are not allowed to ask for free work. 

petra_r
Community Member

Ana-Maria T wrote:

... the less they're willing to pay, the harder they'll be to work with. The worst are, funnily, the ones that are getting something for free.

That's human nature. My Versace top does not get worn while gardening and goes to the dry cleaners. My $ 5 top from the market gets thrown in the washing machine and the cats sleep on it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths