cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very discouraged

Highlighted
Margaret T Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
1 of 13

I am new to odesk but I have found many positons that are scams on here. I always researc companies before interviewing with any. Every single one that I have applied and be "accepted" to interview has been a scam. 

Since I am new to Odesk, I figured I would do low hourly rates to start because I really have no experience working online. Is this the wrong way to go? 

Highlighted
Elisha Porsha P Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
2 of 13

Don't be discouraged.  Not all the jobs posted are scam. When you come across a Job post and you noticed that it's a scam, flag it as scam to Odesk.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
3 of 13

I would not advice to start at a lower(or higher) hourly rate as either way things will be tough when you begin. Also as you work on some jobs, new clients expect you to charge the same rate to them. It is best to start at a rate that you are comfortable with. This will differ from person to person. Some work on odesk just for creative fulfilment in their spare time like stay at home moms, School/College Kids etc. they will be comfortable charging lower rates. Some quit their jobs and are working full time on odesk, they will like to charge higher rates according to their cost of living and pay rates at their location. You decide what is your deal and stick with it for a while.

Generally at any hourly rates, you will find bad clients who will want to scam you. Eventually you learn to filter them out like you are already doing. So consider the effort for applying and then filtering out jobs when you quote your rates. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 13

Hi Margaret and welcome to the oDesk Community!

I am sorry you are still struggling with finding a job on oDesk, it can be very challenging to start. Some very good advice has been given on this thread already. I'd like to refer you to this thread for more information, which may help you avoid problematic clients.

Best of luck!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
5 of 13

Hi Margaret,

You'll be fine. We all started out like you.

There are a lot of great clients on here, but it does take a while to secure contracts and yes, there are a lot of scams on here.

Go with your gut instinct. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Maybe raise your rate. If you start too low it can sometimes attract the wrong types of clients.

Keep applying and be patient and perseverant. As you gain more skills and experience, update your page with this information.

Once a client gets in contact and wishes to use your services, make sure they officially set up a contract. Scammers often attempt to use freelancers without first setting up a contract.

All the best with finding work.

Highlighted
Petronila O Member Since: Feb 6, 2015
6 of 13

Hi Michele,

First, i really love and admire your contribution to address the problems of many freelancers. Since my problem has not been addressed on the platform, i hope you will provide me with some vital information here.

I have confirmed that my account is not under review, however my name is still missing from the list of applicants. This started two weeks ago.

I have done my very best to customize my overview and only apply to the jobs within my expertise.

My last 3 jobs have been given an excellent feed back from clients and my rating is 4.99.

Would you kinldy look at my profile and point out any mistake? Is there any use to keep applying for jobs when my applications are hidden?

I really need your help because i feel like quitting Odesk because it seems that i will never be hired.

My account is 100% and i have never violated any of Odesk's policies what could be the problem? Please help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
7 of 13

Petronila:

I don't know if oDesk will hide your applications over it, but your portfolio is rubbish.  If you don't have any work you can genuinely link to, just leave it empty.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Asif R Member Since: Jan 7, 2015
8 of 13

Margaret T if you ever heared this quote "There is nothing impossible to a willing mind", so try to apply for jobs which are posted by verified payment clients and always read well before applying. If you are fast in reading / writing replies to RIGHT clients for RIGHT jobs according to your professionality, there are 70% chances of your hiring.

Don't be so lazy, some people apply on jobs when already 20-30 peoples are on LIST. So be fast on accurate place to be applied.

Asif

Asif Rehman
Highlighted
Aitizaz U Member Since: Jan 31, 2015
9 of 13

I am very good at technical writing and I have passed 4 to 5 tests and I stand among top 10 or 20% but I am not being hired. I apply for jobs regularly and write cover letters specific to each job but I am not able to get attention of a single client. Somebody please help me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
10 of 13

Aitizaz:

Your profile looks fine, and there's really little people can do for you here.  The first job is never going to be easy to get.  Nobody here knows what kind of jobs you're applying for or why clients aren't hiring you.  All I can advise is to look at the candidates who did get hired, and compare yourself against them.  If you're legitimately a much better candidate for all of them, you might have a reason to fuss about it.  Otherwise, understand that things take time, and that simply being eager to work does not mean you will get work.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS