🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Very displeased with company
Page options
34f3cf0f
Community Member

Very displeased with company

I was contacted by an **Edited for community guidelines**, and he has been asking me to buy moneypak giftcard for him and he would provide compensation. After refusing he is now been threatening to call the police and issue a warrent for "stealing company money". When the money that "I stole" was MY money from my paycheck that I VERY MUCH EARNED from my job. If this person does indeed work for you I find this sad that these are Employee's you chose to work for your comany let alone be invovled HR.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Katrina C wrote:

I was contacted by an **Edited for community guidelines**, and he has been asking me to buy moneypak giftcard for him and he would provide compensation. After refusing he is now been threatening to call the police and issue a warrent for "stealing company money". When the money that "I stole" was MY money from my paycheck that I VERY MUCH EARNED from my job. If this person does indeed work for you I find this sad that these are Employee's you chose to work for your comany let alone be invovled HR.

What do you mean? You don't even have a completed profile?

How were you "contacted?"

The Internet is full of people trying to scam others with silly nonsense such as buying gift crads while pretending to be from well known companies. You would never be contacted out of the blue by an Upwork employee to buy a gift card.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Katrina, you participated in a scam. That "client" does not work for Upwork.

Dont take it personally. Lots of newbies get scammed. Some people learn by reading the directions. Other people, such as yourself, learn by doing. That's okay. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and not make the same mistakes again in the future.

Forum participants are very knowledgeable and helpful. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want to ask - in this thread - until your questions and concerns are resolved,

I was thinking in the back of my head that it was. This is why i refused to purchase the cards. Thank you for your time.

You purchased no gift cards. It sounds like no harm has been done at all. You will be fine.

The person who threatened to call the police is just a scammer sitting in front of a computer in another country. He will never call police, of course, because he is a criminal.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Katrina,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report? I'll check that for you and advise you accordingly.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members