🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Very frustrating support experience
Page options
mahmoudtsoltan
Community Member

Very frustrating support experience

My upwork profile has been suspended, and I'm asked to complete a video call before the 6th of February, when the first availability on their video call booking system is on the 11th of February, I need help.

The long story:

I haven't been this frustrated in a very long while. Support suspended my account on January 8.

I tried to get back to them to figure what's wrong, and it takes them a full day to send me an automated reply (one that's generated by a machine or copy-pasted as is from some document containing template replies) asking me to verify my ID as well as "an additional document".

My ID verification passes, but my additional document verification doesn't.

I had tried submitting a paper from the bank account I had just made, but that seems to have not been good enough for them.

Frankly, I'm not even sure what additional documents are acceptable, and what aren't. It's the first time I've been asked to submit one, and I don't know what this additional document verification is all about since they don't explain it.

When I replied to my support ticket asking for further clarification, I got another automated reply two days later mentioning that it should be a "statement" including:

• The Date
  • My name
  • My address
  • The company name in the letterhead
  • The company contact information

My bank doesn't even provide a paper that fills all of those criteria (their templates don't have my address).

I asked what other documents could be acceptable, they told me they were looking into this for me a day after, and then on January 16th, 8 days after they suspended my account, they asked me to participate in a video call after which my account's suspsension will be removed.

When I went to the booking service (on the 16th), the only time that was available in January was 4AM-5AM on the 29th, which should've been an hour ago.

I was up at 4:20AM, which should be well within my interval. Given that I got other commitments that make it an almost impossible feat to adjust my sleep schedule to be up before this video call, it had to be in the middle of my sleep, and I think that's very justifiable, after all, it's 4AM!

I checked my computer, and I found yet another automated reply saying I missed the call, and I should reschedule, and I should complete the process before the 6th of Feb or my account could be terminated permanently. The ridiculous thing is that their first availability for the call is on the 11TH OF FEB!

It's been 3 weeks since my account has been suspended, and it looks like it's going to be more (even possibly permanently)! I am very frustrated by how unresponsive the Upwork support team is, and feel indignant towards my suspended rights as a freelancer during those 3 weeks. This isn't something I should be having to put up with, and I am very fed up.

More importantly though, I need help, actual human help not something straight out of Upwork Support's automated reply notebook. What should I be doing?

1 REPLY 1
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mahmoud, 

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I will go ahead and check your concerns with the team and relay it to them. I will also follow up on your support ticket so that they can get back to you with more information about the schedule. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths