🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Vetting Quality of Upwork Clients
Page options
caraimperato
Community Member

Vetting Quality of Upwork Clients

Hi,

It's Friday afternoon and I might be a bit cranky 🙂 but when I see posts like this that offer $2.50 per article (for US workers) for high-quality writing, plus image sourcing, plus adding to Wordpress, it's just so demoralizing as an Upwork freelancer.

Is there any way Upwork could monitor and flag posts when they're so far below a reasonable rate? I understand that people want to get started, but this person is also asking for experience and samples.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Thanks for listening.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

I'm sure there's a way they could, by hiring a small army of freelancers to review the posts. And, our fees would go through the roof to pay for it.

The better solution is just to ignore those jobs that fall below your target rates. Maybe take a minute to point and laugh the ones that fall absurdly below, like this one, and then ignore them.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
wescowley
Community Member

I'm sure there's a way they could, by hiring a small army of freelancers to review the posts. And, our fees would go through the roof to pay for it.

The better solution is just to ignore those jobs that fall below your target rates. Maybe take a minute to point and laugh the ones that fall absurdly below, like this one, and then ignore them.

susanwinlowmedia
Community Member

As a professional writer/educated journalist, I share your pain. No way do I take those jobs. I do as Wes said, point, laugh, shake my head, and move on. I wish there was a way to keep those low-paying jobs off of this platform. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I'm a big fan of visualizing my own thought bubbles as a venting mechanism. One of my favorite and most heavily used ones when perusing UW job posts: Lotsa luck with that!

lysis10
Community Member

Just skip it. Someone will take that job.

Jennifer M wrote:

Yep, and the client will get what they paid for: plagiarized garbage.

Wes C wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Yep, and the client will get what they paid for: plagiarized garbage.

Definitely.

caraimperato
Community Member

I suppose you're all quite right. Just point and laugh. Smiley LOL Time to stop for the day!

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Don't worry, it happens in different forms too.  I just had a conversation with a client that, like many before him, has offered to pay with company stock and no actual money.  The premise is that the privately owned stock is a percentage of the company, and **MIGHT** be worth something once the product is released on the economy.

What worse is when the client tries to provide a "valuation" of their product portfolio - products that they are hiring freelancers to create...  Just because a person feels that their invention or patents are worth eleventy millionty dollars doesn't mean consumers are actually going to buy them.  If nobody buys their 100% unobtanium widget, the stock is...you got it, worthless.

Sorry for the rant, just getting sick of seeing the tired tactic for obtaining free goods and services.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

Cara I wrote:

Hi,

It's Friday afternoon and I might be a bit cranky 🙂 but when I see posts like this that offer $2.50 per article (for US workers) for high-quality writing, plus image sourcing, plus adding to Wordpress, it's just so demoralizing as an Upwork freelancer.

Is there any way Upwork could monitor and flag posts when they're so far below a reasonable rate? I understand that people want to get started, but this person is also asking for experience and samples.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Thanks for listening.

No, but if it's a fixed price contract, you can filter those out yourself, and then you'll never, ever see them. That way you spend less time shakiing your head, and more time reviewing your filtered list of job descriptions by real quality clients. 

You could always add it to the the sub section of the site that starts with R, so we can all point and laugh with you. 🙂 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths