Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Video Tutorial] Filter Trello boards by collections

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 11

Trello released a new version of their Business Class plan yesterday which contains new features & apps integration.

This video tutorial demonstrate the use of Trello Filter by Collections feature which is very handy to organize your projects (boards).

Click here to watch tutorial on YouTube

I hope you found this useful. I will be recording more videos soon. Please let me know if there's a specific topic you'd like to learn about. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
2 of 11

Great tutorial video Wassim!

I've just started using Trello a couple weeks ago, currently just the free version. I'm still learning how to use it for business purposes, though!

My biggest complaint so far with it is that (I think) I have to set up seperate boards for each client so that privacy is still maintained while working with multiple clients as well as organizing my projects. That, and the fact that the calendar is specific to each board, and there's no collaborative style callendar for me to look at that combines all of the deadlines on each board into a single-glance calendar lol. Of course, I could be very wrong about this, as I said, I'm still new to it and still testing things out with it.

Do you know of a way to set up an "at-a-glance" calendar that will list the deadline dates/times for all boards/cards on your account? Is there even a way to do that?

Thanks!

creativedigit
Community Guru
3 of 11

Hi Dawn, 

Each board in Trello is seperate from the others. Unless you create a team and invite members to it, nobody is going to be able to see your boards and their content.

Having said so, you are able to invite your clients to collaborate on one single board by giving them access from the settings page of that board. Those members won't be able to see anything beyond that board unless of course you invite them again to a new one. Clients can comment on cards, move them arround, add new cards (you can think of this as a task in a project).

Regarding your question on deadlines, you can assign a due date to a card but not to the board. You are not alone. Many people are requesting to add a feature to set a deadline to a board and display all boards on the calendar. I personally have requested that feature before and awaiting a response from the Trello team. From what I read in forums I can see other people are requesting the same thing so I believe Trello should include this feature soon but I will let you know as soon as I hear from their customer support.

d_lidwell
Community Guru
4 of 11

Thanks Wassim!

So, if I create a "team" and in this team I add the seperate boards that I currently have set up for each client (one board per client), will everyone within that team be able to view every board? Or are they still restricted to only the board they've been assigned to, regardless of the fact that it's now considered part of the "team".

I think I'll have to play around with the team thing to fully understand how it works lol. I do have some boards that are for personal use, as well as some boards for collaboration with certain clients. Maybe I'll convince my husband to help me play around with things regarding the team set up, and add my personal boards to the team, then see what all permissions and things he will have and what he's able to gain access to lol.

Yeah, I'm a "hands-on" learner, through and through! Smiley Tongue

creativedigit
Community Guru
5 of 11

Hi Dawn, 

OK let me recap. If you create a team then you can invite people to become members of that team. By default, when you invite someone to the team they'll gain access over all boards associated with it.

You can create a team and keep it private for yourself only. Later, if you want to collaborate with a client on one of the boards, then you will need to invite them to that board. This gives them access to this specific board and nothing else (even if that board is part of a team).

Makes more sense now? 

d_lidwell
Community Guru
6 of 11

Much more sense! Thanks for the clarification! 

creativedigit
Community Guru
7 of 11

Anytime Dawn. I'm going to record another tutorial in the next couple of days about automating Upwork tasks so keep following along for more tips Smiley Wink

creativedigit
Community Guru
8 of 11

Hi Dawn,

I just received a reply from Trello regarding Boards Due Dates. They provided a workaround which I implemented and worked great. Read their reply below to implement it on your end and let me know if you need clarification.

Note: I implemented the second option (calendar).

Hi Wassim,

Thanks for writing to us!

Right now, that feature isn’t available within Trello. I’ll pass your feedback on to our team for consideration—let me know if there's any additional info you'd like for me to pass their way.

To be totally honest, due dates for boards isn't something I've heard from other customers. It's not likely we would add that to the app without many customers asking for it.

That being said, I do have a few workarounds you might try:

• Add an informal due date to the board name. It's hacky, but you can see the date anywhere the board is listed.
  • Add a "planning board" that contains cards to represent the various boards you're managing. On the cards, link to the board in question, but also add a due date. This workarounds lets you use the calendar view to get a high level view of where your boards are in terms of dates.
d_lidwell
Community Guru
9 of 11

Hey Wassim,

Thanks for sharing! I'll try that, but I'm not sure how that will work for me. I get a lot of "batch work" from a couple of my clients, and sometimes one batch could have 2 different deadline dates (for instance, if he gives me a batch of 30 articles, but he only needs 10 done within a week, and the other 20 done within 3 weeks). One deadline date showing up in the board name wouldn't give me an accurate view of everything I need. Not to mention the accumulative unbilled hours just for creating the cards plus changing the due date within each board name potentially every few days lol.

I might do some browsing this weekend to see if there's a different management system that will provide the features I'm looking for. I'll still have to keep trello around, though, since one of my clients prefers we use that - but for general, every day task managing, I might look into something that's a little easier to use, includes the features I'm searching for, and doesn't take long to get things set up lol.

creativedigit
Community Guru
10 of 11

Dawn,

did you know you can assign a due date to individual tasks too? When you add a card (task) to a board you can add a due date to it when you click the board. Then the date will stick to the card and it will show in red when it's approaching.

I tried lots of useful Project Mangement software but Trello stays the best out of them all (IMHO). Here's the other ones I do recommend to you:

- Podio

- Asana (didn't much like it but lots of clients use it already)

- Wrike

- Liquid Planner (but I cancelled it because you need to purchase at least for 10 users)

- Basecamp

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS