Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Video Verification

courtp93
Courtney H Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
1 of 8

Hello,

I was told on my upwork account that I needed to do a video chat to verify my identification. I was asked which is faster: javascript or jquerry? I did not really know the answer to the question so I made a guess. She asked why I thought it was faster and I said I did not know. Then there was nothing else said and she hung up.

I am not sure the reason for the question. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Courtney

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Courtney,

Let me follow up with the team about the status of your account and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 8

Why would someone ask an art director if Javascript is faster than JQuery?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 8

@Rene K wrote:

I hear trick questions are all the rage these days.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 8

@Pandora H wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Not a trick question (unless the correct answer was "I don't know, I'm an art director"), it's JavaScript, but for many practical purposes, the difference is negligible. Anyway, whoever posed that question was reading from the wrong script or something.

Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
6 of 8

@John K wrote:

Not a trick question (unless the correct answer was "I don't know, I'm an art director"), it's JavaScript, but for many practical purposes, the difference is negligible. Anyway, whoever posed that question was reading from the wrong script or something.

Up to a point, my comment was a play on words. Because I have read quite a few of these sort of posts (I dare you to go read the vitrol evident in the recent posts in the "Testing video chat profile verification" forum. There are some REALLY pissed of freelancers in that thread, for very good reason).

Seems the reps making these calls to Freelancers are asking all sorts of skill-stupid questions. (or just lame questions in general)

In this particular case, asking an artist freelancer to answer a tech question, and not an art question, seems almost like a test of honesty.

Edit: Clarity

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 8

@Pandora H wrote:

@John K wrote:

Up to a point, my comment was a play on words. Because I have read quite a few of these sort of posts (I dare you to go read the vitrol evident in the recent posts in the "Testing video chat profile verification" forum. There are some REALLY pissed of freelancers in that thread, for very good reason).

Seems the reps making these calls to Freelancers are asking all sorts of skill-stupid questions. (or just lame questions in general)

In this particular case, asking a freelancer to answer a tech question, and not an art question, seems almost like a test of honesty.

Pandora, I completed video verification shortly after it was rolled out, and I was asked something quite trivial by the rep, so I didn't realize until today that they've introduced skill related questions of some sort. Let's hope someone in charge at UW reviews all the complaints, and puts guidelines in place that will keep the verification from turning into an interrogation.

ETA: And the idea of a test of honesty, if that's the intent, is scary. What'll they think of next? Polygraph tests? Random drug testing?

Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
8 of 8

My answer would have been, "How should I know I'm a FIlemaker developer. Ask me something about Filemaker". Smiley Very Happy

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS