Video Verification....

Ali K Member Since: May 27, 2015
51 of 116

Yes.....

Thank you so much for help i use this link and all is approved now

Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
52 of 116

I have already done the video call thingie, but I was wondering...will I be required to provide any additional documents in the future?

Edit: Im not sure if it's just me, but my reply is in the middle of the thread lol I apologize for that I am new to Upwork community discussions

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
53 of 116

Hi Reem,

You won't need to complete video verification again. There could be instances when the team could request you to provide some documents for verification and you'll be notified about it. You can find more information about those situations here

~ Valeria
Untitled
Dasan W Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
54 of 116

Dear Valeria.

Long time no see.

So far I tried for video test several times.

I clicked "verify profile " button and used direct video chat link that agent send to me.

And I cleared all cache and historyies and even use another browsers(chrome, safari,opera,firefox, even IE).

But I didn't get result.

Pls help me.

Now I can never work almost 1week.

And I worry that my account is suspended after next week.

BS.

Wang

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
55 of 116

Hi Dasan, 

We're sorry for the inconvenience. We'll follow up with the team so that you can complete your video verification. Please expect an update on the ticket you have with the team. 

-Avery
Untitled
Chris K Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
56 of 116

Valeria: could you please explain the motivation for video verification?

I've completed several projects and Upwork has my name, address, phone number, email address, PayPal info, and SSN.. That's all Upwork needs to completely verify my identity.

I also have several domains that are older than upwork.com and that have public WHOIS that match the same name/address/phone. Those use a different email, but I can respond to emails sent to that address.

I've been a member of Drupal for over a decade and I'm the author of a project there. I've had an open source project at Sourceforge for several years. A project I wrote got an award from JavaWorld magazine. I'm not even semi-famous in the nerd sense, but I am a known quantity.

Video verification seems nonsensical. It isn't needed to verify I can do the work: the several projects I've completed do that. It isn't a sure method of verification: someone could use someone else's photo and then have that person do the video chat. An SSN and the rest of my info that Upwork has is a sure method of verification.

What video verification would do (assuming someone doesn't use a stand-in) would verify someone's gender, age, race, and physical capabilities. All of which are protected categories here in California (where Upwork is also based). I don't have or want a profile photo: my work speaks for itself.. Requiring people to in effect verify their gender, race, age, and physical capabilities is huge invitation to discrimination both by Upwork and by clients. Further, the idea of picking people out at random for punishment is also how cults and dictatorial regimes operate.

I've called Upwork twice and left messages trying to get an explanation, and no one has returned my calls or sent an email. Can you provide a logical, legitimate explanation for requiring video verification or have someone contact me who can?

57 of 116

Hi Chris,

I understand your concerns and I wish we didn't need to verify the information freelancers have on their profiles. Unfortunately, there are a number of freelancers on Upwork who misrepresent their identity and skills which definitely doesn't help build trust on the platform. The new video verification process is meant to help with that and has nothing to do with users' gender or race. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
58 of 116

Valeria:

There are a number of shoplifters in any store. That isn't an excuse to stop and frisk everyone leaving the store. That's how you lose customers and it punishes everyone for the actions of a few.

As a means of IDing someone you don't know, video is incredibly faulty, unless you're taking mugshots of your users and then comparing them. If Betty interviews Barney and Wilma interviews Fred, there's no way for Betty and Wilma to know Barney and Fred aren't the same person unless you're doing that.

Since no one has mentioned being asked skills questions, I assume this isn't about determining whether someone is qualified or not. If this is about determining qualifications, then a phone interview would work. Yet, for some reason, Upwork wants to see what their users look like.

In my case, none of these concerns apply: I've already more than fully identified myself, and my completed projects show that I have the skills to do what I claim I can do.

Can I speak to someone at Upwork HQ about this?

59 of 116

Chris,

I'll share your feedback with the team. However, I'm afraid we won't be able to bypass our policies as verification is required in order for you to continue submitting proposals on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
60 of 116

Valeria:

I appreciate that. However, in case it wasn't clear:

1. I've already completely verified my ID with Upwork, and

2. Video "verification" is verification of absolutely nothing.

For the reasons I've already discussed in detail, video verification is just "security theater" and obviously it's something Upwork users aren't happy with. It punishes good users, while those who aren't good users will comply by simply having someone else answer questions for them.

Upwork will reduce the average quality of its users by treating people this way.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS