cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Verification....

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
61 of 116

Hi Chris,

I've checked and it doesn't appear ID verification was requested for your account before. Please make sure you upload a real photo of yourself to your profile and complete profile verification, in order for our team to fully reinstate your account.

Ryan J Member Since: Sep 23, 2015
62 of 116

Locking users out of their account to force a video call is aggressive and an invasion of privacy.

What if I'm a burn victim? What if I don't had a webcam? What if I don't want to take a shower and clean up my room behind me? What if I've got a girl lingering in my bed behind me?

Not to mention taking time out of my day, time I would rather spend working on projects for Upwork clients.

I've been a 5 star provider for oDesk/Elance and now Upwork for 10 years. They have my social security number, passport scan, bank account details, and phone number. I have been "verified" several times.

Then this. Frozen out of my account. I've got to interrupt my workflow with clients, prepare for the call. The call doesn't work. I can't hear the customer support agent, and one of my speakers is now blaring terrible feedback from a bug in the Upwork concerence call software. Dude asks me where I'm from, and what the flag here looks like.

I laugh and name 3 colors. That's it. All good now. He ends the chat, and gets to see me giggling in disbelief.

My account has been restored.

The feedback in my speaker doesn't stop with the end of the call, so I've got to shut down Chrome, After Effects, Photoshop, Word, Excel, Parallels, and a dozen other programs so I can restart my computer.

Thanks for the 30 minute interruption.

PS - Can I force a video call from Upwork, demanding them to verify that someone is actually managing this mess? I really would like to see the face of the person in charge over there.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
63 of 116

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear you were frustrated with the verification call. We understand that it may be inconvenient to take some time off to complete it and that a user may not have access to a webcam right away. If the team is informed about such issues, they are happy to accommodate. This is, however, a necessary step we have to take to identify fake accounts that are unfortunately present on the platform. Additionally, completing verification when requested is something all users agree to when they register and accept Upwork ToS.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Holly A Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
64 of 116
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
65 of 116

Hi Avery,

I have not received any messages to verify my identity but I have some doubts, in case at any moment I receive it.
The first thing is that I do not speak English, I can read it and write it with a little time. How will I understand the person on the other side of the camera?
And if I do not have a camera? How the verification would be done.

All this to be prepared in case I get one of those messages.

Mehwish U Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
66 of 116

I already did it but now i get a email for video verification 

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
67 of 116

Hi Mehwish, 

I checked your account and I can see that our team already reached out to you via email with a link to proceed with the video verification process. Kindly follow the link shared by our team so that you can complete this step. If you have any questions or need assistance with, please feel free to respond back to the ticket and the agent will assist you directly.

Joanne
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
68 of 116

Tiffany S wrote:

Garnor M wrote:

Hi Tiffany,

We don't want to disrupt your business, particulalry if you're a good freelancer with experience. That said, temporarily stopping the ability to submit new proposals is an action we know will ensure completion of the video verification request. We'll work on improving the process on our end, so the verification can happen more efficiently. 

I can understand the need to incentivize compliance, but perhaps a few days of lead time--instead of shutting it down and then asking, saying "schedule by XX to avoid interruption"?

Well. I have to say I was flummoxed a bit by the "do this now." I understand Upwork's reasoning. On the other hand, freezing the proposals process for experienced freelancers with many simultaneous contracts--and I didn't know if that meant clients couldn't send me invites as well, meanwhile I was in mid invite from a client--did create some panic.

I missed a doctor's appointment because CS was having a technical glitch with channeling me to the correct person for the video verification. And, well, I need to be able to send proposals (and receive invites--though are invites also halted?). I'm merely bringing up the human element to consider in streamlining the process? 

Believe me, I'm glad the Upwork Team is installing checks and balances to lessen fraud/scams. I know the "DO THIS NOW OR ELSE" hastens compliance. Maybe allowing more time for compliance?

Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
69 of 116

I must confess that I was caught off guard as well. I was in the middle of an interview and trying to wrap up a few time critical projects. Like Kat, I was unsure how it was going to affect my job interviews and invites so I had to drop everything to take care of it. 

I had to apologize to the rep though, I was not presentable for the video verification....battling a cold, no makeup and hair sticking up everywhere. No doubt that is why it took her a second or two longer to verify who I was.

All in all my video verification went smoothly. I didn't run into any hiccups. It took maybe 10 minutes tops. However, it was awful timing.

Dima A Member Since: Feb 18, 2017
70 of 116

More than 10 times I contacted the support asking me to make a video call, the only thing they did was asked me for my email address or login ,and once I sent it they immediately ceased to engage in dialogue, and an hour later was in the message was a status of "resolved", leaving me without a single response. 3 days already without an opportunity to respond to the projects.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS