Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Verification....

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
81 of 166

Hi Chris,

I understand your concerns and I wish we didn't need to verify the information freelancers have on their profiles. Unfortunately, there are a number of freelancers on Upwork who misrepresent their identity and skills which definitely doesn't help build trust on the platform. The new video verification process is meant to help with that and has nothing to do with users' gender or race. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
tolstoydotcom
Chris K Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
82 of 166

Valeria:

There are a number of shoplifters in any store. That isn't an excuse to stop and frisk everyone leaving the store. That's how you lose customers and it punishes everyone for the actions of a few.

As a means of IDing someone you don't know, video is incredibly faulty, unless you're taking mugshots of your users and then comparing them. If Betty interviews Barney and Wilma interviews Fred, there's no way for Betty and Wilma to know Barney and Fred aren't the same person unless you're doing that.

Since no one has mentioned being asked skills questions, I assume this isn't about determining whether someone is qualified or not. If this is about determining qualifications, then a phone interview would work. Yet, for some reason, Upwork wants to see what their users look like.

In my case, none of these concerns apply: I've already more than fully identified myself, and my completed projects show that I have the skills to do what I claim I can do.

Can I speak to someone at Upwork HQ about this?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
83 of 166

Chris,

I'll share your feedback with the team. However, I'm afraid we won't be able to bypass our policies as verification is required in order for you to continue submitting proposals on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tolstoydotcom
Chris K Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
84 of 166

Valeria:

I appreciate that. However, in case it wasn't clear:

1. I've already completely verified my ID with Upwork, and

2. Video "verification" is verification of absolutely nothing.

For the reasons I've already discussed in detail, video verification is just "security theater" and obviously it's something Upwork users aren't happy with. It punishes good users, while those who aren't good users will comply by simply having someone else answer questions for them.

Upwork will reduce the average quality of its users by treating people this way.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
85 of 166

Hi Chris,

I've checked and it doesn't appear ID verification was requested for your account before. Please make sure you upload a real photo of yourself to your profile and complete profile verification, in order for our team to fully reinstate your account.

Untitled
ryanjames
Ryan J Member Since: Sep 23, 2015
86 of 166

Locking users out of their account to force a video call is aggressive and an invasion of privacy.

What if I'm a burn victim? What if I don't had a webcam? What if I don't want to take a shower and clean up my room behind me? What if I've got a girl lingering in my bed behind me?

Not to mention taking time out of my day, time I would rather spend working on projects for Upwork clients.

I've been a 5 star provider for oDesk/Elance and now Upwork for 10 years. They have my social security number, passport scan, bank account details, and phone number. I have been "verified" several times.

Then this. Frozen out of my account. I've got to interrupt my workflow with clients, prepare for the call. The call doesn't work. I can't hear the customer support agent, and one of my speakers is now blaring terrible feedback from a bug in the Upwork concerence call software. Dude asks me where I'm from, and what the flag here looks like.

I laugh and name 3 colors. That's it. All good now. He ends the chat, and gets to see me giggling in disbelief.

My account has been restored.

The feedback in my speaker doesn't stop with the end of the call, so I've got to shut down Chrome, After Effects, Photoshop, Word, Excel, Parallels, and a dozen other programs so I can restart my computer.

Thanks for the 30 minute interruption.

PS - Can I force a video call from Upwork, demanding them to verify that someone is actually managing this mess? I really would like to see the face of the person in charge over there.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
87 of 166

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear you were frustrated with the verification call. We understand that it may be inconvenient to take some time off to complete it and that a user may not have access to a webcam right away. If the team is informed about such issues, they are happy to accommodate. This is, however, a necessary step we have to take to identify fake accounts that are unfortunately present on the platform. Additionally, completing verification when requested is something all users agree to when they register and accept Upwork ToS.

~ Valeria
Upwork
haday
Holly A Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
88 of 166
neha-bhardwaj
Neha B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
89 of 166

Dear Valeria,

I am afraid thats not the case, I have done my Video Verification in November and got Verfied Badge Here you can see it : http://prntscr.com/r1tmrd

But today, Once again I am asked to complete Video Call Verification : http://prntscr.com/r1tn5y

I don't know what's going on and I am feeling a little unsecure at the moment. 

Please guide.
Thank you.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
90 of 166

Hi Neha,

Rest assured that Trust and Safety is our priority on Upwork. Based on various indicators freelancers may occasionally be asked to verify the information on their profiles again. Please, follow the link to chat with an agent and they’ll assist you with the process further. Thank you for your cooperation.

~ Goran
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS