🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Video call for verification
Page options
kevinme
Community Member

Video call for verification

I am now quitting Upwork and I encourage many to follow.

I keep my camera covered and will not click on a google link to turn on my camera and microphone.

Upwork says there are no other alternatives and will not work with me. 

Meanwhile, they take 20% of any earnings from a new client.

I have been an Upwork member for over 3 years.

Thank you.

Kevin Meislin

23 REPLIES 23
petra_r
Community Member

Kevin M wrote:

OK, byebye

Kevin M wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

kevinme
Community Member

Well, I am not and this is a side gig, not my full time job. I am now retired Army and just wanted to do a few jobs a year on my time.

You know, the definition of a freelancer.

You know, what everyone demanded: Do jobs you like to do, not what you have to do to live.

kevinme
Community Member

And what is your answer to the issue here?

Not everyone is required to conduct a video chat. There are 3 groups. Only one group is required to do a video chat at this time.

Meanwhile, those who don't have full access and capabilities.

I don't want to turn on my camera or microphone through a Google link.

Upwork has not developed any other method for verification.

I am in the wrong here?

Good. Another company will take my work.

Especially during a time when Upwork is advertising so heavily now on TV, radio and social media.

petra_r
Community Member

Kevin M wrote:

What issue? You declared you're leaving. That's an issue, how?

Kevin M wrote:

Especially during a time when Upwork is advertising so heavily now on TV, radio and social media.

For clients, not for freelancers, **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Upwork has way, WAY too many freelancers and losing a significant percentage, especially at the non-profitable end of the market, is, if not even the goal of a lot of recent changes, a welcome side-effect.

kevinme
Community Member

Great. 

Eliminate people who will not turn on their camera and microphone. Great reason for culling the herd.

If a company can not make a profit by earning $0.15 per connect and 20% of each person's earnings for the first couple hundred dollars, then there are MANY things wrong. None of which are caused by me.

kevinme
Community Member

Oh yeah. And I paid for a subscription. I PAY A MONTHLY FEE TO GET CONNECTS.

And Upwork has turned off any applications to use those connects.

Really? Took my money to purchase a service and refuses to provide that service.

kevinme
Community Member

I just retired this month and started the membership this month. So, I got $300 (actually a lot more, like $1,000) and never paid, while doing this as a side gig.

Now that I am retired and not working, I can do more jobs. I think I can do the math....

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry you feel this way, Kevin.

A video chat is required in order to complete Video Verification. This is a step we need to take in order to ensure a safe marketplace for all users. Once you have access to a device with a webcam, please click the link shared in the ticket.

A few posts have been edited or removed from this thread for violating Community Guidelines.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
kevinme
Community Member

Sir,

1) Upwork was paid for connects through a membership program and is now refusing to provide that service.

2) Upwork required my photo ID and received my license with my full date of birth and license number. Private information.

3) Upwork is not requiring all users to do a video chat. Only Group 1.

kevinme
Community Member

And still nothing to discuss the issue.

Just changing the subject.

Kevin M wrote:

What was the question?????

just seemed like a disgruntled statement really, what were you hoping for? 

I do understand that verification is both a pain and seems pointless, but as annoying as it might be, what is the problem with it really? yes they take 20% - Which you agreed to when you signed up - i also think the fees are a bit high, but i agreed to them and am happy to pay them as much money as i can - because the more i pay the more i earn!

The issue is that they required my photo id with birthdate and license number which are private information for hackers and identity theft.

Now they are asking for you to turn on your camera and microphone. Which are NOT required by any law or regulation.

The laws and regulation simply require the company to verify who I am.

Upwork will not provide any other method than turning on my camera and microphone.

And they still have my personal information for identity theft.

AND they still have my membership money for services NOT rendered.

gnakeur
Community Member

Saying Upwork has your info for identity theft is the same as saying bank has your info for identity theft or a hospital or school or university. Don't you provide bank with your personal info? Also they want to know that that is you working and not your son(for instance).

So please turn your camera on and go through verification process like we all did.

Ok, so you would rather they are just happy with your photo ID and licence, which ANYONE that found your wallet could potentially provide if they wanted to make a fraudulent account.

You have already provided that, so what's the problem with them confirming you are who you say you are? If anything it makes it more secure for YOU (unless it was not YOUR ID that you submitted, which would explain why you dont want to complete the call I suppose).

No, video call is not law, its UPWORKS terms - I dont see why you have such a problem with it. They dont offer an alternative I'm guessing because there is no other means to verify you are the person on your submitted ID (perhaps one day there will be remote fingerprint scanning or something) but for now it seems the most straightforward way.

If your concern is that they hold your personal details, why did you provide them? The video call is providing nothing 'extra' to them in terms of personal info, it just verifys you are the person you are claiming to be.

As for not receiving paid services, I assume it's because YOU wont complete verification? If you want the services then fulfil the terms that are required to use upworks services and I have no doubt you will receive your paid for services.
If not, then I guess you are leaving and there was little point in starting this conversation.
kevinme
Community Member

I urge all freelancers to discontinue using Upwork.
First they took my money for connections and then disabled my ability to apply for jobs and use those connections.
Now they have stopped payments of my earnings.
They received my drivers license ID to verify my identity.
Now they are requesting me to turn on my computer's camera and microphone.
Due to security concerns, I have my camera and microphone disabled and will not enable them.
Upwork will not provide any other method to verify my identity.
Upwork is NOT requiring all freelancers to verify their identiy by camera and microphone. There are 3 groups. Only Group 1 is required at this time.

Kevin M wrote:
First they took my money for connections and then disabled my ability to apply for jobs and use those connections.
Due to security concerns, I have my camera and microphone disabled and will not enable them.
Upwork is NOT requiring all freelancers to verify their identiy by camera and microphone. There are 3 groups. Only Group 1 is required at this time.

You've done this already, no?

I'm sure I have seen this exact thing from you already.

Many have left UpWork after your warning, very few are left. No need for more?

mworksca
Community Member

How did you get client ? I’ve sent proposals for almost two years and not a reply. I’ve offered to do it for free. I think Upwork is by developers posting fake gigs. Let’s chat
ambroz
Community Member

Yes, it is hard to start..
My first idea is that your hour rate of 45/h is a little high for sbd without any projects or feedback. What do you think??
mworksca
Community Member

I’ve changed it a few times but based on projects requirements and the rate that upwork charges I think it’s low. Obviously for work that doesn’t require higher level of thinking I’d lower or submit proposal to suffice. However, I’ve offered to do smaller projects for free to earn reviews here so that my work would speak but with no luck yet.

Otto B wrote:
I’ve changed it a few times but based on projects requirements and the rate that upwork charges I think it’s low. Obviously for work that doesn’t require higher level of thinking I’d lower or submit proposal to suffice. However, I’ve offered to do smaller projects for free to earn reviews here so that my work would speak but with no luck yet.

Why would anyone pay you if you offer to work for free? BTW, I believe that offering to work in exchange for reviews is a violation of the ToS.

Kevin M wrote:

Oh, my god, you're right! I never realized it before. I've earned tens of thousands of dollars here over the past three years and connected with clients I never would have found otherwise and established several long-term business relationships. Also found an authentic community of professional peers with whom I enjoy interacting. But you're absolutely right--because UW is requiring you to abide by their terms of service and you don't want to, we should all leave. You go first.

mtngigi
Community Member

Kevin M wrote:

I keep my camera covered and will not click on a google link to turn on my camera and microphone.

Upwork says there are no other alternatives and will not work with me. 

I have been an Upwork member for over 3 years.

Thank you.

Kevin Meislin

What is the point of announcing you're quitting, when you've already made that announcement in the past and yet here you still are, with a few jobs open, one from last month.

Do you know the story of "the boy who cried wolf"?  If you're quitting, quit already ... none of us needs an official announcement for when you actually do leave.

You ok hun?

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members