cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video ebay reviews...?

Ace Contributor
Diana S Member Since: Jan 27, 2015
1 of 14

Hi guys! I was wondering if using one's own accounts on other websites (amazon or ebay kind of thing) is actually prohibited by Upwork. I applied to a post looking for someone to make short videos reviewing products. I figured they would just post the videos themselves, but the client told me they were looking for freelancers to upload them onto their own amazon accounts. Bleh. Not really what I wanted to do... and of COURSE, not anything they stated in the job description...
Anyway, I don't think I'm going to do it regardless, but I am curious if anyone has any idea if using freelancer's accounts is actually prohibited or just discouraged. 
Thank you!

Ace Contributor
2 of 14

Sorry, should be "video Amazon reviews"!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 14

Diana, a client is asking that you create video reviews of products and upload them, using your own account on sites such as Amazon and eBay.

The client is NOT asking for your account information and is NOT asking you to create any fake accounts.

I don't know if it is prohibited. I don't think it is. I don't think it should be.

I can easily see how some people might think this gets into a "gray" area.

But I do not think Upwork should try to ban every job that gets into a "gray" area.

I think it is far more important to eliminate jobs from "clients" who are trying to scam Upwork contractors.

The primary consideration regarding job postings and clients is whether or not they are dealing fairly with contractors and paying them what they agree to pay them.

There are some specific types of jobs that Upwork prohibits, but it should be Upwork that makes that determination, and not contractors... both in determining what is allowable and also in policing those jobs.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 14

Asking for honest reviews is ok.

Asking for fake accounts and using them for fake reviews is not ok. 

They are asking for you to use your real account because it looks more natural. 

If it's one review per product and it's honest, I don't see a problem. Just be careful if they get into the fake reviews side of things. Amazon actually started suing fake review companies.

Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
5 of 14

Greetings Diana,

Creating a video review and posting it on sites seems harmless enough to me. However, there is also a small catch...what if the client wants you to provide favorable reviews for his products? If that's the case, then your review would be misleading for gullible customers and I wouldn't do such a job, just as a matter of principle.

If the client wants you to create an actual unbiased review video, then I don't think Upwork will sweat a lot over it as long as the contract is formalized and dealt on Upwork platform itself.

Cheers!!

Ace Contributor
6 of 14

Thanks for your input, everyone. They were pretty clear that they wanted positive reviews... and they were going to provide me with the product, but I think I am just going to skip it. It's not paying very much anyway, and I don't think it's worth it to have to offer my address (for them to send me whatever it is) and then potentially mess up my amazon account with spammy looking reviews. 
Thank you all!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 14

Diana,

Thanks for the update and additional details.

This is marketing, you knew that.

The great thing is you have total freedom to choose whether or not to work on that project.

Community Guru
8 of 14

@Diana S wrote:

Thanks for your input, everyone. They were pretty clear that they wanted positive reviews... and they were going to provide me with the product, but I think I am just going to skip it. It's not paying very much anyway, and I don't think it's worth it to have to offer my address (for them to send me whatever it is) and then potentially mess up my amazon account with spammy looking reviews. 
Thank you all!

Probably a good idea. Smiley Happy  If they want you to do ebay reviews on amazon, they are likely dropshipping and you want to avoid those people. Amazon is stricter than ebay and they are not huge fans of arbitraging between amazon and ebay especially if they are using prime to ship. You don't want your account caught up with their mess.

Ace Contributor
Collin D Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
9 of 14

According to FTC regulations, you MUST disclose any "material connections" to any item you review. It's illegal to write any reviews, positive or negative, without disclosing that you either a) got the item for free or b) are being paid to write about it.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/press-releases/ftc-publishes-final-guides-govern...

Community Guru
10 of 14

Sweet. I broke the law like 20 times. I wonder if the po po will show up at my door.

I'm like Amazon review gangsta. I'ma get a face tattoo next.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS