cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Work Diary of Closed Contract

Ace Contributor
Maria Criselda E Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
1 of 12

Hi! Is there a way I can see my work diary for hourly contracts that are finished/have been closed? Thanks!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 12

Hi Maria,

Thank you for your question. Freelancers are not able to access Work Diaries for contracts that have been closed. This is by design.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Michael S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
3 of 12

I'm curious on topic.  Why would it be set up "by design"?  

In my case and why I sought the answer provided, I sometime leverage the dairy to continue logging hours worked even if I go over the allotted hours for the project.  It's more a case where mutual agreement was made that I'd "go the extra mile" to get something done within a given timeline and make up for it on subsequent work OR to ease the financial burden of engagement whils still keeping a record of my work.  

On one past occasion it was based on a cash flow shortfall with client and they now have cash but the contract was closed.  Without the work diary there's no way to verify the number of hours worked.   

Alvin Leon M Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
4 of 12

It would be great to get an answer here about the "by design".  Even better would be for me to see the time logs for a recently closed contract as we went over the hours by agreement and would like a record of how many hours were recorded over.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 12

Michael S wrote:

On one past occasion it was based on a cash flow shortfall with client and they now have cash but the contract was closed.  Without the work diary there's no way to verify the number of hours worked.   

The client can still access the work diary even once the contract is closed, so you may want to discuss it with them.

Michael S wrote:

I'm curious on topic.  Why would it be set up "by design"?  

Client privacy concerns.

Ace Contributor
6 of 12

Petra, the clients are engaged contractually and we are under strict confidentiality in our engagements so this should not be an issue.  Freelancers need to manage to relationships that will, on occasion, require both to agree to close out the contract rather than keep it open and idle because freelancers are unfairly penalized for contracts that remain open without billing (JSS). 

Can the client "re-open" the same job when ready to re-engage?  I believe that option is made available to them.  If yes, does/will the work diary again be visible?  What if the new job is for different set of deliverables and the client prefers a new job description?  Such engagements aren't necessarily new but rather a continuation of the relationship.  Past work and records may tie tangentially to the new job and deliverables.   

Feedback and better information would help me and those in this string.

Community Guru
7 of 12

Michael S wrote:  Freelancers need to manage to relationships that will, on occasion, require both to agree to close out the contract rather than keep it open and idle because freelancers are unfairly penalized for contracts that remain open without billing (JSS). 

No, they are not.

Only if no money has been paid or the freelancer has a crazy high percentage of such contracts.

Otherwise idle contracts do no harm at all.

And yes, clients can "rehire" freelancers, but not on a closed contract and no, diaries of previous contracts do not become visible again after a re-hire because it is a different contract.

Ace Contributor
8 of 12

Petra, can you confirm and point me to documentation or language that states an open, idle and/or paused contract will not affect a JSS calculation?  

Stating "Only if no money has been paid" would mean a contract begun with no subesquent billing, correct? 

Clarification on rehire vs re-opening closed contract and a freelancer never again seeing a past contract diary acknowledged, it sounds like "cut & paste" if one wishes to keep that history.     

Community Guru
9 of 12

Michael S wrote:

Petra, can you confirm and point me to documentation or language that states an open, idle and/or paused contract will not affect a JSS calculation?  

Michael, it has been confirmed over and over again. As long as money has, at some point, exchanged hands and you don't have excessive numbers of such contracts, they do not affect your JSS. I have a number of such contracts that go idle for months on end, even years, and my JSS sticks happily at 100% - others have far more of them and stay at 100% - it's a non issue.

People keep trying to convince themselves (and others) that such contracts, rather than lack of client satisfaction (expressed through public and / or private feedback) is responsible for their JSS.

That simply isn't the case.

2 things are bad for the JSS:

• contracts without payment, be it open or closed,
  • contracts that end with poor feedback, be it public and / or private

Michael S wrote:

Stating "Only if no money has been paid" would mean a contract begun with no subesquent billing, correct? 

Yes. Or a contract started, payment was made and subsequently fully refunded.

Ace Contributor
10 of 12

Petra, I hoped for corroborative.., i.e., where I can find specific documentation.  Given your tenure on Upwork and guru status, I hoped you could direct me.   

On platform since 2013 but in 2018 not as active. Throughout the year, my JSS remained above 94% and was @ 100% from September forward.  It then dropped in early December from 100% to 89%, bounced back to 100% after 2 weeks, then nosedived once more (now) to 89%, over a period of 6 weeks.  A 22 point swing in 3 scoring periods.

A recent Upwork support ticket opened on JSS topic, I was told the following:

"Your JSS drops when one of the following happens between updates:

• You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
  • Jobs with no earnings or no feedback become counted in your score, either because they were closed or because several months have passed since you received a payment.

Like you, I stand behind the quality of my work.  I submit the algo doesn't properly calculate the range of freelancer efforts, from pre-engagement dialogue to contract to successful closure of the contract.  I also feel negative private feedback should not only be shared with the freelancer, we should be able to internally respond to it.  Keep it private - establish a set of requirements that stipulate any client communication regarding private negative feedback will result in immediate dismissal from platform. 

As the old saying goes [paraphrase], "There are 3 sides to every story and somewhere in the middle lies the truth". 

Acknowledged on "only if no payment has been made" reply.  Thanks. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS