🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Views of my profile
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400

Hi John,

I am having the same issue. From past 5 - 6 months I have applied to many jobs, still no job. My hourly rate is also low and I have completed 5 jobs all with good feedback score. Could you shed some light on this please

Thanks,

Vivek Sahni

Support Green Revolution!
Vivek Sahni

Hey M Shoaib S, I took a look at your profile and I also think that it looks good. The only thing I would do is change your tag line to "Front End Developer" or something like that which covers everything that you do, instead of listing technologies.

With a good profile, the reason you aren't landing jobs is probably the quality of your job applications/cover letters. When applying, don't use generic cover letters. You should tailor each application to the client, and ensure that you address any requirements that they list.

For example, instead of saying:

"I am a web developer and I can build websites from scratch."

You could say:

"I am a seasoned web developer, with Wordpress exprerience. I noticed in your job description that you plan to use Wordpress as your website platform. I worked on 4 Wordpress sites in the past 8 months."

Be very specific, and show that you have read the job posting and speak about how you will meet specific requirements listed by the client.

It is also good to ask questions in your job application. This will help to engage the client, and also show off your expertise. For example, if a client posts a job to develop an ecommerce site in Wordpress, you might ask something like this:

"I noticed in your job description that you are building an ecommerce site in Wordpress to sell T-shirts. I have previously built ecommerce sites in Wordpress, and have the experience needed to do this. I also have experience with the Big Commerce platform. Have you considered using a platform that is designed specifically for ecommerce? Let's have a Skype call to to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both."

I think if you consistently send out quality job applications, you will definitely land more jobs. Good luck!

--
Amazon Web Services Certified Solutions Architect

Hello Andre B,

Thankyou so much for your consideration its realy helpful for me. I think you are right I need to improve my bids quality. Yes I am going to change my tagline right now. Thanks again sir

Shoaib,

Besides what Andre recommended you, I am telling you to do the opposite of what John told you, referring to lowering you rate. You have a decent rate as a front-end developer, so I don't mind if I say you that you can get even more, but no way lowering it (I am talking here about the rate displayed on your profile).

The main difference is that when you have a certain proposal you can specify a different hourly rate, a lower one maybe if you want to have a quick gig, just to let the employer know that your general working standard and quality output is the same, but for that particular job, hypothetically, you are willing to have $15/hr instead of $20/hr just to fit a certain budget and after all achieve your desired rate in the proposals after having enough reviews. Note: not all the employers look for cheap developers, that's why I am saying this.

Hello Cristain,

Thank you for your recommendation may be rate is the main issue because I see many employers they declined my bid just due of rate. Mostly I bid on my Expert level projects. I always filter the jobs and bid on expert level. Now I have clear many things regarding proposal writing and about employers.

Regards,

Shoaib

i have same problem .thank you for your information.i hope i will hire soon.

M Shoaib S: Your portfolio needs a web app, perhaps, to show that you are serious about front end work. I can see informational business websites on there, but to broaden your field of expertise, you should possibly branch out into web app design. Maybe you can do a mini Excel, which draws graphs depending on what JSON file is loaded. Perhaps this could utilise stock market data and do some curve fitting. This has not been done before by anyone else. Maybe you can think of some similar project of keen interest to you, that would meet your goals.

I have same problem last two month I did't get any job.upwork still showing this notification on my timline attach here.who can help me how can I got new job.Please anyone help me.

Monu,

The notice you posted a screenshot of as an attachment to your message is simply the notice that Upwork has made the move to showing only Job Success Scores (not star feedback averages) at the top of contractor profiles.

This message is appearing on EVERYBODY's profile page. It has nothing to do with you or your account. It is just a general notice.

Hello. I'm new on this site and I don't know how to get started properly. I have no experience in freelanvce work, actually this is my first attempt. Could anyone assess my profile? Any advice about improving my profile would be valuable. Thanks.

Hello,

According to my experience I would suggest to start with small jobs.

When I start with Upwork I applied for simple jobs first at lower rates.

Also it is good to do some tests relevant to the job area. For an example I am a Microsoft .NET developer and so I have done Upwork tests, C# and SQL Server programming.

In my proposals I demonstrate my skills in relevant area were customers are looking for. 

good luck

Hi,
I am new freelancer. I have 4 year experience in IT company. But I have not experience as a freelancer. So can you advice for how can I get job? and cover latter title?
Thank you.

Hi Patel, welcome to Upwork!

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Hep Center. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos
Want to get that first job? Then check this out...
Proposal Workshop Video

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Muhammad S, do not give up, try try and only try, just lower your rate a little bit, and start from simple and low rate job. 

Asad

Hi,

I am odesk user, since last more than a year. I had applied to many job, relevant to my skill, but only able to get 1 or 2 job from odesk.

And I am also not getting an invite for a job according to my skill set, but some of my friend is receiving.

I am not able to understand where I am lacking, can anyone help me in this.

Any thoughts or advice will be helpful.

Thanks.

I have same problem too but mine I have never been invited for interview. I keep getting mesages about my declned application and I don't know what I have done wrong.

I will be glad if someone can point me in the right direction or may be look at my profile and say something..

Thanks

Hi,

I am new freelancer. I have 1 year experience in IT company. But I have not experience as a freelancer. I have sent over 50 applications but I don't have luck. I don't know where I make mistakes. Any advice from experience freelancers?

ivanov_ivann
Community Member

Hello,

I had some projects in the past but recently none(3 months now). I am constantly applying for projects in my areas, but with no luck. And I was wondering what am I doing wrong - project proposals,my profile look or hourly rate?

I would be really grateful if anybody can shed a light on this topic.

Thanks

Ivan 

Hey Ivan, 

I had a look at your profile and at a first glance I can already spot a few potential problems.

1) Your tagline is very broad, you need to be more specific

2) Overview is a bit dry - its not so much about you as it is about the people you want to work with and how you can help them.

3) Profile image could be a bit better, some smile and closer zoom

4) I dont really know how you write your proposals but knowing your situation I'd say you are doing something wrong.

5) In regards to hourly rate  - price is purely a psyhological factor. Its all about sales and how good you are with marketing yourself.

Hope this helps

Example for a proposal for a data analysis project:

Dear Mr. Denis,

I am a Marketer and Excel Expert, have bachelor and master degree in Marketing and Quantitative analyses. Have significant experience in business data analysis and modelling,statistical analyses. I have conducted surveys on Qualtrics and Survey Monkey,created questionnaires there and then after collecting the data I have analyzed it with Excel and SPSS.

I had a look at your request for statistical analysis of data in Excel and considering my experience and the project requirements I believe I am the perfect fir for this project. Please contact me to discuss more in detail, I can start immediately.

My skills: For Excel: I have been using excel for the last 8 years and now each day in my work for performing analyses (i.e creating reports of sales by combining big data sets and making calculations- pivot tables,predictive models,statistical analyses etc.).

My statistical skills in Excel - descriptive stat,frequency,regressions,correlation analysis,forecasting,ANOVA,t-tests etc. For IBM SPSS: I have performed many statistical analyses starting from - hypothesis testing,t-tests,ANOVA,descriptive stat,frequencies,crosstabs,correlation analysis,non parametric tests,testing normality and ending with -- predictive models like :regressions,cluster and discriminant analysis,decision trees etc.

Please find attached some of my projects related to data analysis in Excel and SPSS.

Looking forward to working with you.

Thanks Ivan

another example:

Dear Katherine,

My name is Ivan, I am a Marketer and Excel Expert, have bachelor and master degree in Marketing and Quantitative analyses. Have significant experience in business data analysis and modelling. Have conducted surveys on Qualtrics and Survey Monkey,created questionnaires there and then after collecting the data I have analyzed it with Excel or SPSS.

I had a look at your request for creating dashboards based on survey data(for 2 years with 9 groups skill matrixes for each) in Excel and considering my experience and the project requirements I believe I am the perfect fir for this project.

Please contact me to discuss more in detail. I believe that I can handle this project for one day(depending on the additional requirements it could vary)

My skills in Excel: I have been using excel for the last 8 years and now each day in my work for performing analyses (i.e creating reports of sales by combining big data sets and making calculations- pivot tables,predictive models,statistical analyses etc.). My statistical skills in Excel - descriptive stat,frequency,regressions,correlation analysis,forecasting,ANOVA,t-tests etc.

Please find attached some of my projects related to data analysis in Excel.

Thanks Ivan

bilal-adlial
Community Member

In last few weeks since i ll come on upwork from elance there is no views of my profile and no one call me for interview or respond me?? What is the problem here with my profile and how i can make my profile more likely among other freelancers?? Any help will be appreciated

thanks

Your portfolio is a little weak, so I would add more to that. Also, there are basic grammatical errors in your profile which can turn away potential clients. With the merger, there are a ton of freelancers in your field and it has gotten more competitive, so it's not suprising that you're not getting as much attention.

5 years experience and all you can muster is a stolen portfolio image of a design you didn't create?

How much more of your profile is fake?

thinu1122
Community Member

Hi, I'm Thinushi Harshika from Sri Lanka. I started working with Upwork about a month ago. I have submited about 15 proposals but nobody hired me. I got 2 replys but they were unsuccessful. Someone please help me to be a successful worker.

rivalhyuu
Community Member

Hello. I am new here, and being new, I do not know and understand much about the system here.

Anyways, I already completed my profile yet but it's always:

"Your profile requires changes

We've hidden your profile because it does not meet the following Upwork guidelines. You will not be able to submit proposals until these issues are fixed. Check these support messages for more details.

Please edit your profile and then resubmit for review."

But I do not know exactly what to change since my profile always shows 100% completeness. If anyone would be able to help me, that would be highly apprieciated.

Hi John,

You may need to change your profile title since currently it doesn't clearly describe what you do and what kind of services you are able to offer to clients on Upwork. I would recommend you add more information about your skills and experience to your overview as well and back it up with portfolio items.

~ Valeria
Upwork
bailey_glenna
Community Member

Hi. I received an email that says my profile is not complete. It says I don't have a professional title or an overview. I actually do. Can anyone tell me how to officially "complete" my profile?

Thanks much!

@Glenna B wrote:

Hi. I received an email that says my profile is not complete. It says I don't have a professional title or an overview. I actually do. Can anyone tell me how to officially "complete" my profile?

Thanks much!

You have an impressive background, but I think you need to write a few sentences about what you can actually offer a potential client, rather than just listing project topics.

Also,  do you really charge $999.00 an hour? That is quite steep!

lizzybedolla
Community Member

HI,

I've been working in Upwork for 6 months at the beginning I had lot of work but in the last 2 months I've had a really hard time getting new projects.

I'm thinking maybe it's my profile... Would any of you have a moment to review my profile and let me know your thoughts?

I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers,

Lizzeth

milyhappy
Community Member

Hi,dear all,

I have been on Upwork for 2 months,and didn't really get work here but just one,I want to know if there is  anything I can do to improve my profile and get hired more?

Thanks!

Regards,

Lifen

bernice-ndubi
Community Member

I don't understand I pitch, my profile is 100% am up till the wee hours of the morning. No invites....no response....no interviews = no work for me.

I don't know what to do anymore. Yet I can't afford to give up.

Any pointers?

Your profile is set to private so I can't look at it to see where you could possibly make improvements.

Same here. No jobs. I applied to so many in past few days, and I get few responses. I'm probably being hidden beneath "show more" every time. I plan to change my portfolio a little bit. Just, I don't have time much.

Christy, you can do mine. I guess it's a combination of things.

Vesna, I think you're just going through a slow period.  A few of us were discussing this over the last week or so.  It's just sort of slow right now.  You always worry :).  Personally, I think your portfolio is great.

Thanks.

Oops let me change the settings asap

Not sure if this is affecting your ability to find work...  But I would crop the photo with a bit more spacing.  

@Bernice:

RE:

-------------------

I don't know what to do anymore. Yet I can't afford to give up.

Any pointers?

------------------

Yes. I agree with you , Don't give up.

When it rains , it pours and if you have taken your buckets back inside and called it quits , it really doesn't matter how hard it rains or pours.

In the interim , take some tests , learn a new skill you have always wanted to and enjoy the Coffee Break section while  you can.

There will be a time when you will check into the community like just once in a month. 🙂 and wonder if you ever had any slack time.

rmartunjaykumar
Community Member

Hi,

Please let me know how to get hired by the client. I have applied for some jobs but I didn't get hired.

Anyone can suggest me how to impress the client by a proposal.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths