🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Violating TOS of other platforms
Page options
aanishamir
Community Member

Violating TOS of other platforms

Hi, I want to ask if Upwork allows clients to hire freelancers so they can hack into other people's accounts such as discord/telegram accounts. How does Upwork deal with such a contract if it has been more than 24 hours?  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, it is hacking. Just one of ways.

If you can prove that job is illegal then job will be deleted and won't affect JSS. Speak with Upwork team.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
spectralua
Community Member

You can flag it as illegal job. Any illegal action is ToS violation, incl this kind of job request.

Any hackings is illegal except agreed penetration testing of own resource.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Upwork depends on freelancers flagging or notifying of inappropriate activity by a client.

Hacking is a crime unless under the terms Mykola mentions. If any freelancer did this, they would break numerous Upwork rules and the law. I would imagine the freelancer account would be suspended permanently and there may be legal charges. I'm not sure what 24 hours has to do with the situation. I sincerely, hope you did not get involved with this illegal activity.

Hi Jeanne, I am in a contract with a client who wants me to hack into other people's accounts, I have mailed Upwork regarding this since I do not want "canceling the contract" to negatively impact my JSS score. If I had canceled within 24 hours, that would have meant no effects on my JSS score. However that time has passed.

Did the contract indicate hacking? If so, you violated the Terms of Service and if you did hack, you broke the law.

What was the contract for? Was hacking in the contract or brought up later? I am having a hard time understanding how you became involved. Can you elaborate?

Hacking is not mentioned in the contract, what the client wants is definitely hacking, he wants me to scrape user tokens in discord which are only available to users themselves. Which is clearly a violation of TOS.

Yes, it is hacking. Just one of ways.

If you can prove that job is illegal then job will be deleted and won't affect JSS. Speak with Upwork team.

If you have notified Upwork and have evidence of the violation, Upwork should not count that against your JSS.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members