🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Violation of Agreement/ Free Work/ Exploitati...
Page options
hiba_badarali
Community Member

Violation of Agreement/ Free Work/ Exploitation

Hello Upwork.

To the Support Agent  it may concern,

I would like to bring into your attention how much disrespected and exploited I feel. I earned a top rated badge quite recently and since then it feels like I have been walking on eggshells trying to maintain my reputation and some clients have been exploiting me.  leveraging this weakness and its horrible management from Upwork’s end that a freelancer has to feel so insecure.

I will give you a recent example. I got in touch with a client “XYZ” on Upwork. We had a very detailed call (Which I have recording of)  and agreed to 3 Milestones after mutual understanding of work.

Milestone 1: Ui/Ux Design ($200)
Milestone 2: Frontend Development ($300)
Milestone 3: SquareSpace Integration & QA ($100)

The client created this milestone with a well informed conscience and knew what these milestone encapsulated in terms of effort and deliverables , however when I completed the first milestone and showed her the design she explicitly said “Looks Good” (Screen Shot Attached) but it was very disrespectful to me as a freelancer that just because I did something quite early doesn't means that I have been charging her a lot that also for Fixed Milestone project not hourly.  An agreement is an agreement,  if I do something early , client owes me for the expertise I have to do that quickly and early which comes from years of hard work. She doesn't owe me for the time I invested. 

She started saying that milestone was quite easy  and price point of $200 is high and not justified. 

Isn't this really absurd? Why didn't she say this before creating a milestone breakdown and sending the offer? She set the price herself knowing everything it encapsulated and now has a sudden change of heart? 

And then I talked to her about 2nd milestone she not only have a change of heart to not proceed with 2nd milestone saying its "too easy" but she also changed her statement about milestone 1 which she previously said in message “looks good” to “Creative with the design Concept is not exactly how I envisioned”

I don’t understand what kind of sorcery is this. and in her last message she is in short asking for free work saying “Implement the design” OR Frontend Development which is part of the second milestone that is not even activated yet.  Her thought process is that the price point of $200 will be justified if I give her the work of 2nd Milestone , in the first milestone.

This is a violation of Upwork Terms & Policies. I just want to get out of this situation without a negative impact on My ID and Reputation. I am assuming she is new to Upwork and doesn't know the policies- But I wish this contract to be ended by  Upwork without my JSS having a negative impact. Its only fair

P.S

Upwork Support Bot has given me a really tough time, couldn't connect me with a support agent. Nor support@upwork.com email is working any more. Really frustrated.
2 REPLIES 2
759e32fa

Hi Hiba,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. Please keep in mind that Upwork only provides a platform where you can apply for jobs, meet clients, and facilitate your contract and payments, but we do not have oversight on your business processes with your clients.

If you feel like the client is withholding the payment for the milestone, you can dispute its non-release by following the steps mentioned here.

Feedback represents the user's opinion, and because of this, we can't edit these comments or scores, nor can we investigate them for accuracy. If you have issues with feedback, please discuss it with your client directly. If the client agrees to revise their comments or scoring, you can enable feedback changes from within the contract.

Upwork reserves the right to review requests to remove content posted by users if the content in question violates our Terms of Service.

If the issue can’t be resolved with the client and you feel you have received feedback that violates Upwork's Terms of Service, please let us know.

~ AJ
Upwork
759e32fa

Hi Hiba,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. Please keep in mind that Upwork only provides a platform where you can apply for jobs, meet clients, and facilitate your contract and payments, but we do not have oversight on your business processes with your clients.

If you feel like the client is withholding the payment for the milestone, you can dispute its non-release by following the steps mentioned here.

Feedback represents the user's opinion, and because of this, we can't edit these comments or scores, nor can we investigate them for accuracy. If you have issues with feedback, please discuss it with your client directly. If the client agrees to revise their comments or scoring, you can enable feedback changes from within the contract.

Upwork reserves the right to review requests to remove content posted by users if the content in question violates our Terms of Service.

If the issue can’t be resolved with the client and you feel you have received feedback that violates Upwork's Terms of Service, please let us know.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members