🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Visibility keeps changing to online
Page options
heather_smirle
Community Member

Visibility keeps changing to online

Hi there, is anyone having any issues with the visibility setting? I prefer to keep it on "Invisible" when I am working to keep response expectations within reason, but it keeps resetting itself to "Online" when I need to look at messages. I believe it used to stay however you last set it until you changed it, right?
19 REPLIES 19
petra_r
Community Member

Heather S wrote:
Hi there, is anyone having any issues with the visibility setting? I prefer to keep it on "Invisible" when I am working to keep response expectations within reason, but it keeps resetting itself to "Online" when I need to look at messages. I believe it used to stay however you last set it until you changed it, right?

I noticed that too and thought I was hoing mad!!!

OK, I'm glad I'm not alone. Hopefully it's just a glitch that's on the bucket list to be fixed!

Hi Heather and Petra,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Our technical team needs more information to look into this issue. Could you please share when exactly the visibility is being changed for you? 

Thank you for your patience while we're looking into this!

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Our technical team needs more information to look into this issue. Could you please share when exactly the visibility is being changed for you? 

Hi Bojan,

I am not sure when exactly it changes, but to help you trouble shoot:

I have mine set to invisible by default. I have not changed it on the app, I only touch the settings on my Mac (Catalina 10.15.6)

Occasionally I notice that I'm set to visible and change it again. 

I've just set myself to invisible, then checked I was showing as invisible, then logged out and back in again.

I was showing as visible again on the toggle thingie, BUT - I had a grey dot for invisible in the message thread.

I set myself to visible, the dot went green, changed it to invisible, dot went grey and so on.

I think it may be the toggle-thingie misbehaving, rather than the function itself. In other words, if I am right, the toggle-thingie falsely claims me to be visible even though I'm not. If that's the case, it's not an issue. I'll just keep an eye on the dot. As long as I'm invisible when the dot is grey, all's good for me!

invisible or not 1.png

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you so much for providing detailed feedback, Petra. I'll share it with our team for further investigation.

~ Bojan
Upwork
willclc
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

I'm encounter the exactly same problem as well.

Every time after I change it to "Invisible", when I click any clickable element in any given Upwork page, once the new page is loaded, my status will turn into "Online".

It doesn't matter if the new page is opened in the same or new browser tab, it always happens to turn my "Invisible" to "Online"

Also, even when I just click refresh in my browser to reload the SAME page, it will turn into "Online" from "Invisible" no matter what.

Please help as it will seriously affect our professionalism in terms of communication responsiveness.

Thank you Bojan!

Will

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Will,

I apologize for the trouble this caused. One of our agents will reach out to you directly and assist you with this issue.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have logged in my upwork account as a freelancer and I have activated my "active "status but when i view my profile as public,it is showing that I am invisible.Kindly check my account active status.

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused. One of our team members will reach out to you with more information via a support ticket. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
mstirk
Community Member

Hello! Sorry to bump this, but I am now having the same problem. I keep it set on Invisible when I'm working so I don't get messages interrupting me and so clients don't wonder why I'm not responding immediately. I am now set to online all the time. Even if I set it to Invisible, the next time I click anything Upwork-related I'm set back to online. 

Did this ever get resolved? This is tanking my productivity and even bleeding into my not-working time. I even got a call from a client when I thought I was offline just because the computer was on.

For the reord, the Messages app says I'm invisible, but the Upwork site keeps switching to online.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the trouble this caused, Erin Marie.

I will go ahead and follow up with our team handling this issue so that they can reach out to you with more information. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello

I have the exact same problem and have had for a while which is why I was looking through the community posts.

Would appreciate any help or tips on a solution.

Thank you!

Hi Mariette,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further as soon as possible. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Sad to say, mine keeps doing it all the time...No matter how many times I turn visibility off, it keeps turning  on. I also use the app version on my mobile phone and I cannot see any option at all to set  the visibility.

I would appreciate some help.

Kasia

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Katarzyna,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this is causing you.
Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further as soon as possible. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,
I'm having this same problem. Every new tab I open with upwork changes my status back to Online when I've previously switched it to Invisible.
Thank you,
Allison Weir
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Allison,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. We'll have our team reach out to you with more information via a support ticket. 

We appreciate your patience while our team is working on fixing this issue.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, I'm having the same challenge and it is super frustrating because it is affecting the way I operate on the platform. Has something been done to fix this problem? Is there something I need to do to keep my invisibility status?

Hi Veronique,

I'm sorry to hear that your visibility keeps changing. Could you please update your profile visibility using a different browser or after clearing cache and cookies? If the issue persists, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths