cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visma scam!?

karen40fla
Karen K Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
1 of 7

I feel so dumb. I joined this site and bid on a job for data entry. **edited for Community Guidelines** on Skype. So i did. We had a Skype interview, chat, not video. Then he said HR will contact me with paperwork if i am selected. Of course, i was and they sent me an I-9 form and employment papers. Thankfully i didn't send my bank account info, but i did return the I-9. Now i am worried. I do have a subscription on Equifax so i am keeping an eye out on my credit. **bleep**. I was scammed once already on here, but that was nothing. This one has me concerned and is turning me off to this freelancing thing.

Just be careful out there!!!!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

Karen, all these company names and employee names are fake. That is why they interviewed you via text chat only. They were lying about their identities.

There is no job, as you now realize. In the future you will not provide that kind of personal information to clients. They pay through Upwork, so they do not need info like that and they do not need an I-9 form from you.

karen40fla
3 of 7

Definitely lesson learned. They acted like they were offering me a job with their "employment letters". I am glad i did not give my bank info and i am praying they do not use my SSN. i have crummy credit anyway.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 7

I hate to say this, but giving out your bank information would have probably been better then giving out your social security number, which I hope you didn't provide.

Never Ever give out ANY personal information to anyone. Remember, you are dealing with STRANGERS who live in other countries where scamming is very prevalent.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 7

Hi Karen, 

It seems that you communicated with this client was off the platform. May I request that you please report this to the team, together with screengrabs of your communication with the client so that actions can be taken against the client account.

Please read these threads and help article to be familiar with spotting red flags when bidding for a job - 

~ Avery
Upwork
karen40fla
6 of 7

Not sure where to send the snipit of the conversation, but i attached it to this reply. 

I  chatted with a **Edited for Community Guidelines**

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Karen,

This job was probably removed already, but please do share the job post link along with the attached screenshot with Customer Support via this link.

Please go through the resources Avery shared as I see you've communicated with a couple of other clients who were removed from the platform.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS