🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » W-8BEN
Page options
Community Member

W-8BEN

Good day, upwork! I just wanted to ask a question regarding the W-8BEN which is needed for freelancers to withdraw their earnings. 

I am a 19 year old freelancer from Philippines and Im trying to sign the W-8BEN for Tax information which means that I am Not a US person. I researched on how can I get the said tax return and found out that there are exemptions for individuals whose taxable annual income does not exceed Php250,000 or basically around $4,835. Because of this, I am confuse whether Im eligible for the tax exemption. This is my first year as a freelancer and I dont have any record as evidence for my annual income. For these, I wanted to list down my questions on this matter.

1.) How to file for W-8BEN outside US?

2.) When will I get to withdraw the funds? Do I have to wait for a year to save all my earnings and just then apply for an income tax return which is calculated annually? 

3.) If it said that I am exempted from having taxes, what type of document should I present to sign and completing my W-8BEN tax information?

I hope that people would see this. Hoping for your kindly response.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lieset, 

Please see my answers below.

1. To fill up your Form W-8BEN, please go to your Tax Information page on your Upwork Settings, and fill in the form. This will automatically be submitted to the system once you fill it up.
  2. You can withdraw your earnings at any time. Or you can set up an Automatic Payment Schedule so that the system withdraws your earnings to your chosen payment method. 

For your other tax questions, please get in touch with a local tax advisor since we cannot give tax advice. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths