🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » W-8BEN
Page options
jean-sourbe
Community Member

W-8BEN

The website keep asking me for the same W9 info but I’m not us résident so I filled the W-8BEN that I already filled multiple times.
they are correct, I saved the info and it's the same process again and again. 
What can I do ? 

**Edited for community guidelines**

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Jean S wrote:

The website keep asking me for the same W9 info but I’m not us résident s

huh.png

You need to make up your mind.

If you are physically in the USA, you need to pay US taxes, complete the W9 and have the required work permits and so on.

If you are not in the USA, you need to set your profile to where you actually are.

Simple. 

Afternoon,

thank for your response but unfortunately it doesn't help me.

they have all my personal information, likewise I'm non US resident, physically in the USA under VISA with Work permit and I don't have any W9 cause i never paid tax before (first year no return yet)

Jean S wrote:
they have all my personal information, likewise I'm non US resident, physically in the USA under VISA with Work permit and I don't have any W9 cause i never paid tax before (first year no return yet)

If you are in the USA, you have to do the W9. You'll just have to sort out what you need to sort out with the IRS. You need a SSN and all that jazz.

I'm sorry but W9 is not for me, I'm doing the Form W8, W 8BEN or W8 form which is used by non-resident aliens who do work and/or make income in the U.S. (source IRS)
I do have an SSN and all that jazz.
I just need a website support to go through the W-8BEN and the payment process.

Hi Jean,

Users located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing the W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to advise about it legally.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

What do they mean by
-I'm a US person
-I'm not a US person

Do they talk about tax residency or citizen ?

this can help me

I am following this post!

Just got a job here on Upwork.

Im on a F1 Visa but also currently on my Post Completion OPT year. I am authorized to work in the states, and I have my EAD Card with me. I am currently residing in NYC and I also have my state ID here. I have worked in the states for the past 3 years at my university and have paid taxes for 3 years.

Am a  bit confused on which tax forms to fill to get paid on Upwork. W9 is for US Citizens which I am not. W-8BEN is for non taxpayers..which I am NOT. Hope someone can help me out on this. Thank you

Hi Imran,

It's best to consult with your local tax advisor regarding this so that you can assisted accordingly. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi, I would like to know if the issue has been solved? I am in the same situation and would like to know which form to fill in. Thanks.

Hi Suchanun,

Users located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing the W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to advise about it legally.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am in the exact situation and customer service is not helpful! Were you able to get any answer from Upwork? Which form did you eventually fill to withdraw your earnings?

Hi Nayanadarshi,

Users that are located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form on their Tax Information page to access their earnings. If you have any questions about the form and whether you should complete it or not, please check with your local tax advisor.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I am getting the same response from every customer service representative I contacted on various platforms. Although I reside in the US, I am not a US Person. I am a Non-resident Alien classified as a Foreign person so I must fill W-8. W-9 is to be filled by citizens and permanent residents. Those working in the US with work authorization but are neither citizens nor permanent residents must fill W-8. Why isn't Upwork aware of this?

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/classification-of-taxpayers-for-us-tax-purpo...

UPDATE: Anyone reading this who is facing the same situation as me and the others who commented before, if you have an SSN, then go ahead and select US-persons and give your SSN for W-9. Apparently, if you have filed tax returns in the past, you are later considered a US Person.

Hi Nayanadarshi,

I suggest checking with your legal adviser about completing the form as we can't provide legal advice.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members