cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W8BEN Foreign Status Certification in pakistan

zeeshan_ali_003
Zeeshan A Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
1 of 10

hello i am new on upwork and i am from pakistan . 

i am getting this on getpaid tab " In order to withdraw earnings, please complete a W8BEN Foreign Status Certification. If you are a U.S. taxpayer living outside of the United States, please complete a W9 Form."

why is it so ? as i am in pakistan

also i when i click on w8ben foreign status .. 

they ask for the Legal Name of Business

i don't have may bussiness entity nor passport . 

i have my nation id card.

what to do ?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 10

Hi Zeeshan,

Please enter your full legal name and your address on the Tax Info page in order to complete the required W8 form and enable withdrawals on your account.

Untitled
ahmadali07
Ahmad A Member Since: Dec 31, 2018
3 of 10

hello i am new on upwork and i am from pakistan . 

i am getting this on getpaid tab " In order to withdraw earnings, please complete a W8BEN Foreign Status Certification. If you are a U.S. taxpayer living outside of the United States, please complete a W9 Form."

why is it so ? as i am in pakistan

also i when i click on w8ben foreign status .. 

they ask for the Legal Name of Business

i don't have may bussiness entity nor passport . 

i have my nation id card.

what to do ?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 10

Hi Ahmad, 

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork.

On the "Legal Name of Business" field, please type-in the name that matches your Upwork account name, and your identity documents. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

-Avery
Untitled
b94be3db
Alwani B Member Since: Feb 25, 2020
5 of 10

Hello Sir,

I am also filing this form as part of nonresidence, I have some interest income.

I have a question in Part II for the claim Tax Treaty Benefits, what Percentage should I put?

montannalw
Montanna W Member Since: Aug 31, 2018
6 of 10

The forms are US IRS requirements, not Upwork. 

A W8-BEN is: Form W8-BEN, Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for U.S. Tax Withholding, is used by a foreign person to establish both foreign status and beneficial ownership and to claim income tax treaty benefits with respect to income other than compensation for personal services.

Instructions to complete W8-BEN

aamir_noman
Noman A Member Since: Feb 13, 2019
7 of 10

brother just go to settings, in tax information tab fill up your name in "Legal name of business" and fill your address.

numan059
Muhammad N Member Since: Apr 4, 2020
8 of 10

IS IT COMPULSORY TO MENTIONED MY ADDRESS ON TAX INFORMATION SECTION.

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
9 of 10

Hi Muhammad,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To complete the form, you need to provide the details requested. For more information, please refer to this help article. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
numan059
Muhammad N Member Since: Apr 4, 2020
10 of 10
but i asked you about is it compulsory to mention my address on this form. or just put my legal name and submit it.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS