🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » W8BEN and hourly Rate
Page options
Community Member

W8BEN and hourly Rate

To whom it may concern, 

My name is Anastasia Papapetrou and I have been recently enrolled in Upwork as a freelance translator. Firstly,  I would like to ask how I can provide you with a W8BEN number given that I am a physical (non-U.S) person and that I do not obtain any tax return profile at the moment. Where should I address so as to request this number? I live in the UK.

Secondly, today I was contacted by a client for a translation from Greek to Enlglish and I was asked to give him a quote, eventhough this was online in my proposal. So I realised that on our conversation I told him a price per page of translation rather than an hourly rate. Is that acceptable by the terms and conditions of Upwork? If no, then how can I prove that I worked for specific hours? 

Thank you in advance for your time. Any help would be appreciated as I am new in Upwork and I am trying to figure out how it works. 

Best Wishes, 

Anastasia Papapetrou

1 REPLY 1
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anastasia,

You'll have access to your Upwork earnings as long as you have completed Form W-8BEN, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. You may need to consult a local tax adviser about proper ways to report your Upwork income to your country's tax authorities. 

Once the client sends you an offer, you should review it and accept. Once you have reviewed the offer and accepted the terms, a contract will be created. You will be able to see your contracts under the 'My jobs'. You can check this help article for more information about the interviewing and negotiating process. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members