cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: W9 Form Issues

Mohammad M Member Since: May 20, 2018
1 of 7

I am an international student that is living temporally in CA. I will be in the US in the next couple of years because of college. My probelm is, I am unable to recieve payements. I have not done any tasks yet because in my profile settings it says: "In order to withdraw earnings, please complete a W9 Form." Should I put the address of my country even though I am working in the US? What should I do?  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

Your profile has to reflect your real location.

Are you legally allowed to work (other than on campus) in the USA? Usually a student visa does not allow this in which case you can't work on Upwork either.

Best to get advice from your visa issuing authority to clarify, as you would not want to risk violating your visa conditions (and thus your studies.)

Highlighted
Mohammad M Member Since: May 20, 2018
3 of 7

Thanks for your answer Petra. This is interesting because what if a French citizen was on a holiday somewhere in the US. Does this mean that they cannot work because they are in foreign territory? Is it still possible to work in the US by giving the non-US location (that is, the location of my non-US address)? If not, is it still possible to do jobs for free (that is, just for the experience)? I am asking this because I am an experienced programmer, and I want to use what I know well to help others. Eager to hear your reply. 

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 7

A French person on holiday in the US would not be travelling with a visa.  Student visas are generally limited to work on the college campus.  I suggest you contact your consulate and/or the State Department for further clarification and an official response.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 7

@Mohammad M wrote:
  • Is it still possible to work in the US by giving the non-US location (that is, the location of my non-US address)?
  • If not, is it still possible to do jobs for free (that is, just for the experience)?

No and No.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
6 of 7

Hi Mohammad,

If the person has a legal permit or a type of visa needed to legally work in the U.S., they can register and work on Upwork as a freelancer. People located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings in order to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to legally advise about it.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
7 of 7

And, Mohammad, I'm sure you can always find local people who would be happy to accept free jobs. Upwork, however, doesn't allow for free work to be offered through this platform -- which makes sense, because if no money is exchanged between client and freelancer, then Upwork makes no money on its own cut, and Upwork would thereby be involuntarily offering its own services for free. (That's a lousy business model.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS