🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » WATCH OUT
Page options
forbetrpro
Community Member

WATCH OUT

Got contacted by someone who had posted a translator assignment and wanted me to text them my email address. I responded that I would only communicate via the upwork platform. Don't know if the post is still active. So just in case, I want to give heads-up to whoever would also be contacted.

6 REPLIES 6
kat303
Community Member

Sylvia L wrote:

Got contacted by someone who had posted a translator assignment and wanted me to text them my email address. I responded that I would only communicate via the upwork platform. Don't know if the post is still active. So just in case, I want to give heads-up to whoever would also be contacted.

There is nothing wrong with that. Communication outside of this site (email, phone, skype or a messaging/text program IS allowed as well as sending of completed files (email attachments, dropbox, google drive, ftp, Onedrive or another program is just fine also. Neither indicate that the job is a scam. 

However, ALL financial transactions and contract offers MUST be made on this site. 

It seemed like a phishing attempt to obtain my phone number to me. I was under the impression that Upwork provides and facilitates all necessary communications, attachments etc. I think I was that a "special room" is provided to a case. If that is the case, I do not see the need having to use my personal email etc.

Sylvia L wrote:

It seemed like a phishing attempt to obtain my phone number to me. I was under the impression that Upwork provides and facilitates all necessary communications, attachments etc. I think I was that a "special room" is provided to a case. If that is the case, I do not see the need having to use my personal email etc.

Kathy is correct - it's perfectly fine. Once you're here for awhile, you'll find that there is most definitely a need for an alternate means of communication, because Upwork's messaging system leaves a lot to be desired. Having the site go down when you're trying to meet a client's deadline with no way to upload files is a hard lesson learned. It's happened to me several times. Set up a special email address for freelance work only, no need to use your personal email.

Sylvia L wrote:

I was under the impression that Upwork provides and facilitates all necessary communications, attachments etc. I think I was that a "special room" is provided to a case. If that is the case, I do not see the need having to use my personal email etc.

You don't have to give it, it will simply mean that many clients won't communicate with you further and won't hire you.

But there is no need to warn anyone with a capital "WATCH OUT" post simply because a client asked for your email address. That is perfectly normal.

I communicate with my clients via Upwork as well, but mainly email, slack, skype, telephone and even facebook.

With Upwork's message system being somewhat hit and miss, relying on it as the only way to communicate with clients would be nothing short of insane.

kfarnell
Community Member

Given the size limitations on files you can upload to Upwork, working here without an alternative mode of communication would be impossible for many.

Sylvia L wrote:

-------------

Yes, Upwork provides communications, attachments and voice in the "work room" but you're going to find out that messages are spotty, PDF files lately are being stripped of formatting etc, file size is limited and the voice section. ... I won't even comment on that.  If you don't want to give out your personal email, then create a new email just for situations like this.  You may not see the need for giving out your phone/email right now, but you're going to lose clients, files, messages etc in the future. But it's your decision and if you don't want to do that, then you don't. I just finished a job where ALL communication was done through my/clients email as well as transferring the completed files. BUT hiring and ALL financial transactions were done on this site.

As long as you don't give out personal information such as bank account or credit card information, PayPal info, auto license info, passport/visa info. mothers maiden name etc, you'll be just fine.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths