cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT DOES ACTIVE MEMBER MEANS HERE?

dataenrtyagency
Abu Bakar S Member Since: Feb 19, 2019
1 of 14

I submitted a question here as a new member. After a while, I saw that you are ranked to Active Member.

What does it mean? Does it refer to the Submitted Freelancer Account I submitted for approval?

I visited the Freelancer profile. Still, it shows that-

Your profile is under review

You should hear back within 24 hours. You will be able to submit proposals once your profile is approved.

What and what..............

I don't understand.

Thanks

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 14

Hi Katherin,

Active Member is your Community rank, ranks are intended to help all of us identify frequent and valued contributors to the Upwork Community. To learn more about this check out this Thread.

Regarding your application, please up to 48 hours for the review to be completed and our team will reach out to you with the results. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
atreglia
Community Guru
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
3 of 14

Goran V wrote:
ranks are intended to help all of us identify frequent and valued contributors

Hi Goran, can you please define and elaborate on a “valued contributor”? I ask this because I’ve seen many incorrect responses here that were authored by contributors of a high Community Rank. In fact, some of these authors have appeared on the “Top Solution Authors” list with the implication that they can be trusted to know what they are talking about. I find this very disconcerting, especially to newbies. So, if you would kindly explain, I’d appreciate it, thanks!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 14

Anna T wrote:

Goran V wrote:

Hi Goran, can you please define and elaborate on a “valued contributor”? I ask this because I’ve seen many incorrect responses here that were authored by contributors of a high Community Rank. In fact, some of these authors have appeared on the “Top Solution Authors” list with the implication that they can be trusted to know what they are talking about. I find this very disconcerting, especially to newbies. So, if you would kindly explain, I’d appreciate it, thanks!

Ranks just go by number of posts. It's automatic, so don't even pay attention to that.

Most people who come here are fishing for an answer they want, and that's why they mark someone's post as a solution when it's completely wrong. Pretty much the way people should read things is just "default to Petra's advice." lol 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
5 of 14

Jennifer M wrote:

Anna T wrote:

Goran V wrote:

Ranks just go by number of posts. It's automatic, so don't even pay attention to that.

Most people who come here are fishing for an answer they want, and that's why they mark someone's post as a solution when it's completely wrong. Pretty much the way people should read things is just "default to Petra's advice." lol 

Agree. Another option for anyone who's confused is to go read the ToS and/or relevant help sections, and take some responsibility for figuring it out on their own.

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
6 of 14

Anna T wrote:

Goran V wrote:

It really means nothing, and I agree it is very confusing if people consistently give wrong answers just for the sake of answering and getting kudoed by their little fanclub, especially to newbies who naively assume that these are upwork employees or have a semi-official function. Maybe the power of the kudo should be limited to one a day. 

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
7 of 14

"... it is very confusing if people consistently give wrong answers just for the sake of answering and getting kudoed by their little fanclub ..."

You've said this (or at least, something like it) several times recently and I'm baffled by it. Why should people be collecting kudos in this way? What do you mean by'fanclub'? Are you saying that a specific group of people on here belong to a group elsewhere and come here to build kudos for some reason?

"Maybe the power of the kudo should be limited to one a day. "

People should only be allowed one kudos per day? Or only allowed to post one? So someone who comes here and reads several posts a couple of times a week should be excluded from highlighting posts they want to support? What would that achieve?

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
8 of 14

Kim F wrote:

"... it is very confusing if people consistently give wrong answers just for the sake of answering and getting kudoed by their little fanclub ..."

You've said this (or at least, something like it) several times recently and I'm baffled by it. Why should people be collecting kudos in this way? What do you mean by'fanclub'? Are you saying that a specific group of people on here belong to a group elsewhere and come here to build kudos for some reason?

"Maybe the power of the kudo should be limited to one a day. "

People should only be allowed one kudos per day? Or only allowed to post one? So someone who comes here and reads several posts a couple of times a week should be excluded from highlighting posts they want to support? What would that achieve?

From time to time, a FL appears who answers nearly every question for days on end, often with misleading and erroneous information (which has clearly been acquired by looking up specific questions in the Help sections, without understanding context or nuance that comes from experience). That person's answers are consistently kudo'd by the same 2-3 other people, regardless of what is being discussed and whether or not more knowledgeable members of the community weigh in with more specific and accurate information. It's been happening the past few days. I've seen it happen before. Not sure about the guiding principle but I suspect there is some recurring legend that having a lot of kudos makes your profile more desirable to clients. Or it could be purely ego-tripping.

ETA: Also, the self-appointed authority gets quite snappish when challenged.

I think Martina's 'one a day' suggestion was tongue-in-cheek.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
9 of 14

I often suspect that these two-week-wonder self-appointed authorities are gunning to be noticed by The Powers That Be and to be invited to become Moderators -- or at least to join the ranks of Customer Service. They imagine that if they show off their C.S.-type skills, they will eventually be invited to do for pay (for Upwork) what they are temporarily doing for free (in the forums). (I can only hope that when these guys flame out and disappear from the forums, it is NOT because they have been plucked by the hand of Upwork and invited to join C.S.)

Of course, what these unhelpfuls don't realize is that what they are showing off, generally, is not knowledge and skills, but (rather) an impulsive know-it-all-ness and an embarrassingly un-self-aware propensity to dispense inaccurate information with a condescending air.

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
10 of 14

@gilbert-phyllis wrote:

From time to time, a FL appears who answers nearly every question for days on end, often with misleading and erroneous information (which has clearly been acquired by looking up specific questions in the Help sections, without understanding context or nuance that comes from experience). That person's answers are consistently kudo'd by the same 2-3 other people, regardless of what is being discussed and whether or not more knowledgeable members of the community weigh in with more specific and accurate information. It's been happening the past few days. I've seen it happen before. Not sure about the guiding principle but I suspect there is some recurring legend that having a lot of kudos makes your profile more desirable to clients. Or it could be purely ego-tripping.

ETA: Also, the self-appointed authority gets quite snappish when challenged.

I think Martina's 'one a day' suggestion was tongue-in-cheek.

I think you're referring to the person I'm thinking about because it's been a stellar apparition Robot wink
I have read his speeches and, yes, he gives some pretty bad advice. And it does not matter if someone corrects him, he goes on and on ...
His fervent follower has, curiously, a suspiciously similar profile. Well, coincidences ...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS