🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » WHat is happening to my profil??
Page options
creative41
Community Member

WHat is happening to my profil??

Hi everyone, having issues this past 5-6 months on upwork, I use to receive often jobs, about once a month and when I submitted proposal I had a 20% success, now nothing, my score dropped t0 90% even as I only have 5 stars from all of my clients... I only refuse a few jobs that weren't in my skill such as testing apps for 10$ or correcting kindle books on amazon (the book things sounded like a scam tbh)
I feel like this 90% is shying away clients, I didn't even receive a single interview, it's kind of hard to believe with a 5-star profile... I mean how can I even have 90% when I make sure all my clients are satisfied? 
Now I wasted about 40$ of connects and I will stop buying any of them since there is no job or even interview coming in... 

6 REPLIES 6
ahonestone
Community Member

Hi Jean. 

If you look for the subject "Covid-19" you will see that several freelancers are feeling the same. I think the closure of many companies had impacted the business to all of us. 

For example: I have a long-term project which I love to work on. But, after 2 months of the pandemic, the client told me that the business decreased. This was one of my best contracts and higher payments. When I had searched for the name of the company before the pandemic, there were several job posted. But now, no one.

Then, I conclude that the pandemic harmed several jobs. It is so true, that UpWork created actions to help freelancers and companies in the time of pandemic. 

About your JSS, 90% and Top Rated, I believe it is not the problem. I am also use UpWork as a customer, and when we receive the proposals, this is not so highlighted. What take our attention is the firt 80 words (about 216 characteres). It looks like a list in cascade. 

Another thing: when we look for freelancers, the more restrictive option is 90%+ and Top Rated option. Then, you are in it. 

But you can do an action: as a Top Rated, you have the perk to remove the impact of feedback (private and/or public) from your profile. If you've had more than 10 contracts, you can do it. Then, contact the Support Team and try to find out what feedback is harming your JSS. 

If you find out and remove the feedback, in the next update I believe it will increase again. 

I have seen your profile, there are some inactive contracts and other closed without feedback. Then, if you closed, I think it harmed your JSS, but verify with the Support Team. I have put an attachment with some arrows to indicate details on your profile feedback section.

I was 100% a week ago. Now I am 96% after I closed a contract by myself because of a unresponsive client. Then, I will use this perk tomorrow to come back to 100%. 

I hope the tips can be useful for you. 

Best regards. 

Hi, Rodirgo, thanks for your reply. 

I know the Covid-19 is harming our jobs and living, my issue is more about not receiving any responses, I lost over 40$ of connects trying to contact companies without any response or anything even before the Covid-19. And as I understand I receive back my connect when someone abandoned a job or left it without any action for a month or so (I did receive back a few connects but nothing compared to what I lost over the past 6 months) but I still have no interview or anything for a while now, and the last jobs I was sent were scam... 

For the feedbacks, I had to close the contracts since the clients came on upwork and left after I finished the job and they were open for over a year for some. Even after trying to contact some of them several times.
I do feel quite some clients are lazy and need their job done and leave like thieves and this is harming the freelancers sadly, we should definitely have an option to see if they at least looked into our full proposals like the checkmark on Facebook and Twitter. I do often think of Upwork as Tinder, clients don't seem to have much commitment. 

Btw I want to point out Upwork did NOTHING to help us with the Covid-19, they could have offered connects based on success rate or simply by goodwill like giving 100 connects to help freelancers with a profile older than 6 months / 1 years, but they did nothing.

Rodrigo S wrote:

But you can do an action: as a Top Rated, you have the perk to remove the impact of feedback (private and/or public) from your profile. If you've had more than 10 contracts, you can do it. Then, contact the Support Team and try to find out what feedback is harming your JSS. 

Untrue. Support will never, ever tell you which contract is hurting your JSS. And you don't have to have 10 contracts before you can use the perk for the first time.

Rodrigo S wrote:

I have seen your profile, there are some inactive contracts and other closed without feedback. Then, if you closed, I think it harmed your JSS, 

It didn't.

Rodrigo S wrote:

I was 100% a week ago. Now I am 96% after I closed a contract by myself because of a unresponsive client. Then, I will use this perk tomorrow to come back to 100%. 

You weren't 100% a week ago. You were last 100% on the 6th of June. Closing a contract you have received money does not affect the JSS at all. If you closed a contract with nothing having ever been paid, that will have affect the JSS, also, if you have an open contract that never (ever, from the start) led to you earning anything, that also affects your JSS when the contract is 2+ months old but only if there was nothing at all, ever, paid)

In general (with very exceptions) only 2 things affect the JSS - poor private feedback and contracts with nothing ever paid.

Jean-Philippe H wrote:

they could have offered connects based on success rate or simply by goodwill like giving 100 connects to help freelancers with a profile older than 6 months / 1 years, but they did nothing.

More people having more connects does not lead to individuals winning more jobs because there are still the same number of jobs and simply more people bidding on them because they have more connects. It just floods the clients with even more proposals.

So basically what you are saying, is, because some clients came on Upwork and left without ever closing the contract or giving me a review, I'm the one being punished? This doesn't make any sense. 

And for the connect yes it would help, because now I have zero since I used already 40$ without ANYTHING in return I'll stop buying and only see if some people contact me, but since my JSS drop unfairly there is little chance for this to happen anytime soon. Or I guess scams asking me to read their book on amazon hoping I would use a free credit for them or push their views, or best having to playtest game for 10$ when Upwork will take 3$ out of it. 

Jean-Philippe H wrote:

So basically what you are saying, is, because some clients came on Upwork and left without ever closing the contract or giving me a review, I'm the one being punished? 

No, you are not.

You likely had less than perfect private feedback from one of your contracts, and I'd hazard a guess it was the one you also left less than perfect feedback for.

90% is still great. 

Why wouldn't I see it in my reviews?  I mean none of the clients has complained.

But it still doesn't explain why I haven't saw a single response in 6 months 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths