cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting, Praying and Working

Highlighted
Simon N Member Since: Nov 28, 2015
1 of 8

I am new here and for quite a while I'm still waiting, praying and working hard to put up the best proposals.

Where is that first job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 8

The first job, Simon, is actually what you are doing now.  I gather that freelancing is about waiting, praying and working hard.  Sometimes we get financially compensated for things that we do.  At other times, we get compensated through the training that we get from clients and for just trying to be good in what we do.  I am saying this from experience.

Highlighted
3 of 8

This seems the remedy for my desperation, I was almost giving up. Lady your words sank and from an experienced person like you... the spirit rejuvenated itself.

Highlighted
Elizafaye C Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 8

I am also new and have found that it is best to try and respond to jobs within the first few minutes a job is posted.  Being one of the first to reply can help to ensure your proposal stays on top of the heap.  

It seems as though once a job has been posted for more than 30 minutes, it is bombarded with a ton of proposals.  

It is disheartening that I sometimes pass on jobs simply because I know my proposal will be buried even if I feel I am qualified for the position.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 of 8

@Elizafaye C wrote:

I am also new and have found that it is best to try and respond to jobs within the first few minutes a job is posted.  Being one of the first to reply can help to ensure your proposal stays on top of the heap.  

It seems as though once a job has been posted for more than 30 minutes, it is bombarded with a ton of proposals.  

It is disheartening that I sometimes pass on jobs simply because I know my proposal will be buried even if I feel I am qualified for the position.

Eureka !!! I am so pleased for the answer Elizafaye C. I just checked your profile and your method seems to work. Emulating you is inevitable.

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 8

Be aware though that Upwork uses algorithms/robots that decide which proposals to show to the client. Nobody has any control over this and there's no evidence to suggest how accurate they are. So you don't really know whether the client is getting to see your proposal.

Highlighted
7 of 8

Good to know Stephen.  I wasn't aware that Upwork would also use bots to present clients with preselected proposals.  That makes sense though since we would have that "feature" on our side.  Although from the chatter on the boards, our job feeds leave much to be desired.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison
Highlighted
8 of 8

Best of luck to you Simon.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS