🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Waiting for payment
Page options
carole-sharwarko
Community Member

Waiting for payment

How long do you wait for payment on a milestone project to be released before filing a dispute?

I submitted work to a client (on his rush order) on Wednesday, March 27. He requested revisions the next day, which I completed that day. Since then, I have not heard from him despite me sending two check-in messages. 

I don't want to be a jerk and file a dispute prematurely, but I want the money, Lebowski.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Carole:

Clients are NOT obligated to reply or release money manually. You have no basis for filing a dispute.

All money in escrow will be released to you AUTOMATICALLY after 14 days.

You already used the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

Now just wait. Don't contact the client again. Don't push the button again.

Do nothing else, and get paid.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Carole:

Clients are NOT obligated to reply or release money manually. You have no basis for filing a dispute.

All money in escrow will be released to you AUTOMATICALLY after 14 days.

You already used the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

Now just wait. Don't contact the client again. Don't push the button again.

Do nothing else, and get paid.

re: "I have not heard from him despite me sending two check-in messages."

I would never do that.

I use the Submit button. And that's it.

I don't understand. You would never do what? Send messages? File a dispute? 

Wow, OK. I checked in once to ask if the revisions were sufficient. Then I resubmitted the work and requested payment. This isn't "begging." I did the work and I deserve the pay, or at least some communication after four days. I think that's unprofessional and I don't like being treated like some "beggar" because I want the money I earned.

I don't know what "the 14 days" is. That's what I'm asking, dude. Thanks anyway.

Carole S wrote:

Wow, OK. I checked in once to ask if the revisions were sufficient. Then I resubmitted the work and requested payment.

If you resubmit, you started the 14 day timer from scratch.

**Edited for community guidelines**

The client is entitled to take 14 days to review the work. So what you think you "deserve" is irrelevant. Client has 14 days, get over it.

This whole exchange has made me feel so bad. I struggle to balance all the different contracts I have on Upwork and elsewhere, and remember all the details. I have never had a milestone contract and I didn't know how it all worked. I need money to pay my bills and feel a little bit desperate. Have you ever felt that way?

Carole S wrote:

I have never had a milestone contract and I didn't know how it all worked.

Here is what I do:

I am used to clients releasing milestones straight away, or at least within 24 hours. In general (when clients behave themselves) you get paid quicker with fixed rate contracts than hourly ones.

As far as I am concerned, making me wait for 14 days shows how highly the client values me (not) and I don't work with them again.

However, you can't actually dispute anything at that stage, only if the client actually tries not to let the Escrow funds come to you at all by asking for them back. That is when you can dispute.

At the moment there is nothing to dispute.

Hi All,

A few posts have been edited or removed from this thread for Community Guidelines.

I would like to ask you to keep the conversation professional and avoid personal attacks. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members