🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Want to stop a contract due to lack of cl...
Page options
maximelenormand
Community Member

Want to stop a contract due to lack of clear communication / disrespect

Hello,

I've been on and off of Upwork, doing some translation works, and recently getting into data science via a specialized profile. So I got my first contract in basic data cleaning for a fixed contract (for 65$, relatively cheap but I thought it would be done in a few hours). Problem is, I've been working only on that for the past 3 days, because each time I upload my code, the employer asked me to do something else or changes things without telling me, that I then have to debug. It went to the point where he asked if I knew how to use my brain and that he had to explain things to me as a kid. I tried to keep everything professional, and asked questions about what he wanted, to get a better idea. I never get real answers, only short messages on what I have to do, without any clear instructions. I'm open to feedback of course, but here there is a clear lack of efficient communication. I've been working exclusively on this for the past 3 days, and I don't know when this would ever end. Especially for so few money, I don't think this is very fair.
I don't know what to do at this point. I am really worried about any feedback he might leave as this would be my first for a specialized profile, and don't know if I should just drop the job. I went to check his profile, and it seems overall pretty good, but a few people did point out lack of communication during their jobs either. As I'm not super familiar with the platform, I wanted to ask here.
Thanks a lot for any help!

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Maxime:

If you are a freelancer, you can end a contract AT ANY TIME. You do not need to explain your reason. You don't need to have a reason.

If you are a client, you can end a contract AT ANY TIME. You do not need to explain your reason. You don't need to have a reason.

If you want to maximize the possibility of getting positive feedback, then it would make sense to end the contract in a professional, polite way.

One GENERAL WAY to close a contract is this:

Simply tell the client that your situation has changed and you will no longer be able to assist with his project. Turn over all the files that you have created for the client, tell him that if there is anything you can do to help with the transition to another freelancer, just let you know. Then close the contract.

For YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION, you could tell your client:

"Jason:

Thank you for the opportunity to work on the contract. I think there has been some mis-communication or misunderstanding about the tasks that need to be completed as part of this contract. Because this is a fixed-price contract, I am not actually supposed to do anything beyond the original agreed-upon tasks, which I have done. If you will release payment and close the contract, then I can continue to work on this project with you. But I would not be able to do anything else until that is done. Alternatively, if you prefer to work with someone else on this, you can close the contract and request a full refund. I will click the button on my side to allow the refund. In that case, the work I have done will still belong to me and you would not be able to use it, according to Upwork's rules."

Right, thanks for that quick answer.
If I do decide to end a contract, does that have any repercussions on my reviews though?
What I am most concerned if that this unfortunate experience will have a big negative impact on any future jobs I might apply to.
Thanks again!

Maxime L wrote:

What I am most concerned if that this unfortunate experience will have a big negative impact on any future jobs I might apply to.
Thanks again!

If you end the contract the money goes back to the client. There will be no visible feedback on your profile if the contractleads to no earnings. The contract will count as unsuccessful and  you will likely lose your Rising Talent Status and your future Job Success Score will likely be (significantly) affected.

re: "If I do decide to end a contract, does that have any repercussions on my reviews though?"

It might.

But as Petra points out, if you refunded all the money for the fixed-price contract, the feedback will NOT SHOW UP AT ALL on your public profile page.

Generally speaking:

Wearing the wrong T-shirt might have repercussions on your review.

Sometimes you need to do the right thing for yourself, even if it means there might be repercussions on your review. You are here to earn money, not stars on your reviews.

Be professional. Be polite. Don't let fear of bad feedback hold you hostage.

Thanks you both for your replies.

Sure, however I also want to maximize the possibility of being hired.
Thank you for the feedback, I have a better understanding of the consequences.

hi, I ended the contract due to job description misunderstanding. I spoke with the client and we both agreed to end the contract. we barely even started only work for like 30 minutes after starting the contract. Due to misunderstanding with the job description. He said he will not pay me. Instead of having problem with refund. I advised I will delete the time tracker which is only like 30 minutes. then I will end the contract due to misunderstanding of the job required. Will this affect my job success? if so how severe would it affect my jss? 

Hi Ian, 

Ending the contract doesn't affect your JSS directly; however, the lack of earnings will. In the future, I'd recommend that you please make sure that you discuss the job with the client and make sure that you clarify what the project details are before you accept an offer. I'd like to suggest that you please check this announcement and review the information shared in this help article to learn more about the JSS calculation. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Ending the contract doesn't affect your JSS directly; however, the lack of earnings will. 

Really? We were told categorically that contracts that end with no feedback and no earnings no longer affect the JSS since the new update. (only contracts with no feedback and negative private feedback will) - I questioned that and asked Valeria to double-check. She assured me she quadruple-checked.

You are now saying the opposite. 

Which is correct, please, as misinformation about something as important as that can have serious consequences.

Can you give me more details about the lack of earnings. The contract I ended came from a job invite. Supposed to be a one-time small project. Also there is also another comment below from petra that it should not affect it...

So only ended contracts with no feedback and negative private feedback will affect my JSS right?

Ian D wrote:

Also there is also another comment below from petra that it should not affect it...

Be careful, part of this thread is from the days before the the rules changed.

The latest information, what we were told when the rules changed in November, was that a contract that didn't lead to any earnings does not affect the JSS provided there was no poor feedback.

Ian D wrote:

So only ended contracts with no feedback and negative private feedback will affect my JSS right?

What do you mean? You can't have no feedback and negative feedback at the same time. Either you have feedback or you don't. Unless you meant to say "no earnings and negative feedback" - in which case that is what we were told, but the moderator above is saying the opposite.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members