cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to use the Upwork tracker on an iPad / tablet etc? There seems to be a way.....

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1 of 6

For the past few years, as long as I can remember, freelancers have been asking for the tracker to be made to work on mobile devices.

I did not care one way or the other originally, it was only when the iPad Pro came out that I thought it would be nice to be able to use that to work,mwith the bigger screen it seemed like it would bepossible to actually work while away from the computer.

Now we all know that the tracker does not work on mobile devices, so the option would only have been to use manual time which I generally don't like doing.

However, while working on one of my contracts, which involves accessing the head office's computer directly via something called logmein I suddenly wondered if this could allow me to work from a mobile device which can't run the ...

They have a two week free trial, (I think it costs $ 79 (?) a year afterwards) so I set up an account, downloaded the app on the iPad and set it all up (easy.)

Left my computer on, accessed it from the iPad, turned on the tracker (the tracker is on the actual computer, obviously, and I turned it on from the iPad) and started working.  Worked as usual for 30 minutes, turned the tracker off.

When I checked my work diary all the time tracked, including screenshots and mouseclick / keyboard data were there.

It actually works surprisingly well. I don't think I'd want to use it for long periods, but if you are away from your usual working place and need to do something for your client for 20 minutes or whatever this might be the answer.

The actual computer you want to access remotely needs to be turned on, so that's one drawback as you can't turn your computer off, go out, remember you need to do some work and log in.

But other than that, and the fact that the little mouse is a bit fiddly, it seems to work. I suspect with a larger device (I used an iPad Air) such as a iPad Pro or maybe a Chromebook this could work really quite nicely for many types of work, especially if you have a keyboard for your tablet.

Just thought I'd share because the question has been coming up again and again.

sam-terwilliger
Ace Contributor
Samuel T Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
2 of 6

Thanks for sharing!!

elaine_gregorio
Elaine G Member Since: May 25, 2015
3 of 6

Can the time tracking feature be added to the mobile app? This is a good feature for people who uses their iPads and tablets for work especially those who needs to do app testing like us Smiley Happy

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Elaine,

Unfortunately logging time using the Upwork Team App is not yet available on mobile, but please have a look at the workaround Petra tested and shared above.

Untitled
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 6

To add to Petra's tip, there are free VNC (virtual network computing) clients and free DynDNS (dynamic domain name server) services that allow you to remotely control your desktop computer from a tablet for a variety of purposes. As she mentioned, these only work if the home computer is left turned on and online.

ardee-aram
Ardee A Member Since: Oct 29, 2016
6 of 6

Hey Petra,

Accessing a machine remotely over iPad is actually a good idea. In my case, I am using TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) to acces my Mac Mini. Same setup, also must have your remote machine always on for this to work. 

One advantage of Teamviewer is that it is free. Yey!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS