🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Wanted to file Dispute but client paid and ga...
Page options
ashrafulazim
Community Member

Wanted to file Dispute but client paid and gave a bad review.

Hi,

I am new to Upwork. Recently I had a client. The job is for a $15 landing page, but he requested me to add a simple T&C and privacy policy so I said ok. After finishing the job I submitted a payment request and told him I might not be available from tomorrow (There were 8 hours left from tomorrow). He said nothing so I took a vacation. after 2 days when I asked him why he didn't release the payment he said he didn't like my work and want revision. I let him know why he didn't let me know immediately, I am on vacation now and if he wants I will give a full refund, I also said it's just a $15 job if you want to give me an additional job then rehire me. He refused and said he will pay me $15 and have his review. I asked to file a dispute or I will file it. He then just paid it and leave a bad review. I submitted a full refund that removed the review but hampered the jss. Is there any way to remove it from affecting the JSS? I mean why he paid me if he did not like the work!

6 REPLIES 6
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Nothing can be done now, the perk to remove the effect of bad feedback from JSS comes with Top-Rated Status. Which you do not have.

Any designing or creative work is better done on an hourly contract. But if you agree to take such jobs on a fixed fee, you should also accommodate a few minor changes and revisions.

You have just started you also need to be a little more accommodative to client's requests. Just work on building back the JSS now!

petra_r
Community Member

wrote:

I am on vacation now and if he wants I will give a full refund, I also said it's just a $15 job if you want to give me an additional job then rehire me. He refused and said he will pay me $15 and have his review. I asked to file a dispute or I will file it. 

That was an incredibly weird way to really antagonize a client...

Why do you first tell the client you'll refund and then tell the client to dispute or you will (which is the opposite of giving a refund...).

If you wanted to give a refund, all you had to do was close the contract and the escrow funds would have gone back to the client and the client wouldn't have been antagonized like this and probably wouldn't have left any feedback at all.

Ashraful A wrote:

I mean why he paid me if he did not like the work!

Probably because his time is valuable and he didn't want to deal with a dispute over $15 after you so very unwisely gave him only the choice him filing a dispute or you would. 

Wanted to file Dispute but client paid and gave a bad review

But *WHY* did you want to file a dispute? You really literally had no grounds for a dispute? You had also already offered a refund so what in the world was this all about?

I did not know how to settle down this. So I wanted a third party (Upwork) to suggest what to do.

Ashraful A wrote:

I did not know how to settle down this. So I wanted a third party (Upwork) to suggest what to do.

Then why didn't you ask for a suggestion instead of threatening a dispute? There is a WORLD of difference between asking for a suggestion and a dispute.

All you had to do was end the contract. The money you promised to refund would have gone back to the client, nobody would hve been upset and you probably wouldn't have gotten a poor review.

Ashraful A wrote:

It is your job as a professional business owner to manage your clients. Upwork will not help you repair a relationship that you destroyed. The client is well within their rights to leave a review about you. 

You attempted to unilaterally dictate the time in which the client could review your work and request revisions. That's not a wise way to manage contracts or customer service. 

The JSS was in large part designed for freelancers like you who deserve a negative review, but avoid it by issuing a refund. You cannot escape the impact on your JSS. It serves as a warning to future clients that you will not deliver an ideal experience. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You need to learn a lot about client management. Yes, 15$ is a minor amount to the client, and also to you, since you refunded it. Was this really worth it? You could have handled this much better. Hint: you don't threated a client. What did you expect him to do?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members