cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Warning about Scam Client!

Reya R Member Since: May 24, 2016
11 of 29
Hi, Preston H, it's actually my first time to be joining sites like this so I was still exploring my options. Maybe it's also a mistake on my end because I didnt do some research before I agreed to the agreement. Anyway, I just wanted to tell my story to warn everybody else and save them from this very upsetting experience.
Ace Contributor
Denis P Member Since: Mar 25, 2016
12 of 29

Reya, I suggest that you read the following, it is a must and the best protection for freelancers Upwork can offer

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/21106​3748

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/21106​3668-Get-Paid-for-My-Hourly-Contracts

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 29

Reya:
I appreciate your additional information.

I wish you well. I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience.

You will be rewarded well if you learn more.

The truth is that Upwork contractors who understand the simple rules for using Upwork's tools do not get ripped off by bad clients, like what happened to you.

So you can look forward to learning more and then working safely.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
14 of 29
Mary Faith S Member Since: Aug 17, 2016
15 of 29

I have the same experience. I meet this client in upwork. He offered me $12/500 word article which is a very intersting rate. He said that the payment is weekly every friday and via paypal. I asked him why can't we do it in Upwork he did no replied. So I just still gamble and grab the opportunity. But I have this got feel that he is a cheater becasue when I ask for an upfront payment he never replied. His email adress is s**Edited for Community Guidelines** I hope this is not scam because I already sent 8 articles.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 29

re: "I hope this is not scam because I already sent 8 articles."

Mary, this IS a scam.

You should not have sent him those 8 articles.

You should know that when you agreed to let this person pay you using PayPal, you violated one of Upwork's most sacred rules. Payment should always go through Upwork.

Your account could be suspended or terminated for doing this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 29

Just the words "mill" and "content"  should have raised a dozen red flags!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 29

Hi Mary,

As Preston already noted offering and accepting payments outside of Upwork is a serious violation of Upwork ToS. In order to get paid on Upwork, you need to make sure you have an active contract under your My Jobs tab before you do any work. Please, check out this help article to learn more about Upwork Payment Protection.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Reniel T Member Since: Nov 16, 2016
19 of 29

Did you actually get paid?

Patricia W Member Since: Jun 13, 2017
20 of 29

These scam artists are everywhere! I recently go taken for approx $325 recently after working for three days. Loads of wasted effort (thank goodness I hadn't worked for a week! I would have been devasted). If anyone asks you to work outside any platform watch out! The pitch is the same. Sometimes the figure is $15 for 500 words.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS