cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Warning about Scam Client!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 29

re: "I recently go taken for approx $325 recently after working for three days."

Did you send scammers $325 from your bank account?

Or did you do $325 worth of work, and they didn't pay you?

(These are two very different things.)

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
22 of 29

Hi Patricia, 

Please take note that is against the Upwork ToS to offer work, and do work outside the platform. Any client who is asking to work outside the platform should be reported so that actions can be taken against their account. 

-Avery
Untitled
Kerry C Member Since: Dec 7, 2017
23 of 29
Another one you need to watch out for is David Kedode, he contacts you and says he can't place an order on upwork as there is error messages can he have your email to which he sends work. He then sends work and says he pays 15th and 30th of every month when you do the work and the 15th comes he makes an excuse and says it will all be settled by the 30th that date arrives and then he says his client has not paid him and he has logged a complaint with upwork. I have told up work about this as well. Personally i think there should be a way that these cretins are booted off up work, it makes working very unpleasant.
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
24 of 29

Hi Kerry,

Thank you for reporting this client. Note that you're required by Upwork ToS as a freelancer to work with clients you find on Upwork solely through the platform and receive payments through Upwork as well. Please report similar requests to Customer Support, review these safety tips derived from Upwork ToS and note that we do take immediate action against clients who offer to work or pay freelancers directly.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 29

@Kerry C wrote:
Another one you need to watch out for is David Kedode, he contacts you and says he can't place an order on upwork as there is error messages can he have your email to which he sends work. He then sends work and says he pays 15th and 30th of every month when you do the work and the 15th comes he makes an excuse and says it will all be settled by the 30th that date arrives and then he says his client has not paid him and he has logged a complaint with upwork. I have told up work about this as well. Personally i think there should be a way that these cretins are booted off up work, it makes working very unpleasant.

When you agree to work and get paid outside of Upwork you not only invite to be scammed, you also break the terms of service and risk your account to be suspended. Furthermore you defraud Upwork (out of the fee) and cheat every honest freelancer on the site.

It always mildly amuses me when people conspire with a fake client to cheat, then come running to the very platform they tried to cheat when their co-conspirator fails to pay up.

If it wasn't for freelancers breaking the rules, the scammers would go away because there would be nobody left to scam.  The "cretins" are not only the clients who break the rules, it's also the freelancers who are the reason they are here in the first place, and who hurt the honest freelancers who work within the rules.

Heidi v Member Since: Feb 4, 2019
26 of 29

This client showed up on my google search right after I was **Edited for Community Guidelines**. She is still actively busy on freelancer. I know upwork and **Edited for Community Guidelines**are two different sites, but still. I wish I googled this woman's name after I finished about 10 articles for her. Worth $200 more or less.

Community Guru
27 of 29

re: "after I finished about 10 articles for her. Worth $200 more or less"

The good news:

If a scammer tricked you into writing 10 articles for her, and never actually paid you for this work, then those articles still belong to you. You may include them in your portfolio, or sell them to somebody else, or do anything you want with them.

Highlighted
Heidi v Member Since: Feb 4, 2019
28 of 29
Thank you so much for the reply. Can not believe I was stupid enough to
think this person is legitimate.
Community Guru
29 of 29

re: "Can not believe..."

Don't be too hard on yourself.

EVERY freelancer has stumbled and made mistakes when starting out.

Many (not all, but many) freelancers have made the same mistake you made. Others have made other mistakes. We learn from our mistakes and move on.

I have been working as a freelancer on Upwork for many years now, and I still make mistakes.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS