cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning about Scam Client!

Charlotte R Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
1 of 29

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would give you a head's up about a client on here calling herself **Edited for Community Guidelines**. she will ask you to chat via Skype, then ask you to work outside of ODesk for $16 per 500 words and will likely use the email address **Edited for Community Guidelines**

The email address alone was enough to give me a bad feeling, so I looked around in other forums..

Apparently, according to a few posts on Guru, this same person or persons are offering the same deal and then dissapearing after a week of work. (One guy apparently did over $300 worth of writing for these jokers). They may be calling themeselves- **Edited for Community Guidelines** but they seem to be using the same email address each time.

They probably have joined the community recently and have no verfied payment method or past hires.

Anyway, if you see a post like this, please flag it- it might seem obviously dodgy to some of us, but I just wanted to make sure something was posted about it, since they seem to be going around all the freelancing sites...

Community Leader
Stella L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
2 of 29

Hi Charlotte,

thanks for letting us know. It is a very frustrating situation doing the job and not getting paid for it. You mentioned that they might not have a verified method of payment.

Are they allowed to hire freelancers if they have not verified the method of payment?

Md.Shariful I Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
3 of 29

many innocent honest worker lost their time, by scam or fraud  client, specially they were from **Edited for Community Guidelines** , i hope upwork will make a strong   verrification before they offer that kind of scam

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 29

Hi Charlotte,

Please submit a Support request and include the job/client details, screenshots of your Skype communication and other relevant information about the violation, so our team could review. in order to work safely on Upwork, make sure you don't start working on a job without an active contract and additional protection measures depending on the job type.

I edited your comment since it's a violation of our Community Guidelines to post information about specific member or job posting violations in the Community.

Charlotte R Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
5 of 29

Hi Vladamir,

Sorry about posting the client details! Didn't realise you couldn't do that! I'l submit all the info I have via a support request so hopefully this client will not be accepted on Upwork again.

Charlotte

Reya R Member Since: May 24, 2016
6 of 29
She's still active. She posted a job last week, rate is $18 per 500 words and I fell for it. She asked to communicate via Skype then disappeared after getting a week's worth of work from me. It's really so upsetting, she wasted my time. I hope Upwork does something about this. Will also file a support request for this incident.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 29

Reya: did you have an official contract with her? With a funded milestone?

If not, then it means you volunteered to work for free.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 29

Hi Reya, 

Thanks for sharing this here, and I'm sorry you had an unfortunate experience on the platform. In the future, please make sure you don't start working on a job without an active contract in your "My Jobs" tab. Offering work via messages, or Skype is not a contract. 

Please submit a Support request and include the client details, screenshots of your Skype communication and other relevant information about the violation, so our team could review. 

-Avery
Untitled
James Kevin O Member Since: Jul 8, 2016
9 of 29

Had the same experience today.

Mary Faith S Member Since: Aug 17, 2016
10 of 29

Details

Articles required for blog. Article must pass copyscape and be uniquely written. You are expected to do some research on the topics of the article that I will give once you accept the job offer. If you are already running a blog on internet marketing as a subject and making money from your blog, it will be a plus. I am looking to buid a team of writers for my internet business and looking to work longer term if you are the right candidate. les

I just wanted to ask if this is also the job description of teh project. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS