cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Warning: do not work for these people

shaneor555
Shane O Member Since: Aug 7, 2016
1 of 10

In my naivety I just agreed to work for the first people available to me on here and they had no payments verified etc, nightmare. So spent 5 days doing content writing for nothing. A newbie mistake.

So to name and shame, and help others, their skypes are:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 10

Shane: I'm sorry about your frustration.

I'm not sure that you understand yet that names of clients and companies are meaningless.

And you can't cite names here anyway.

There is no list of "bad clients."

There are bad behaviours. You watch out for the bad behavior, not the name.

I never look at names. I don't google names. Names don't matter.

But I don't work for clients whose payment method is unverified. And I don't work for clients whose fixed-price contracts are not funded in escrow.

shaneor555
3 of 10

Names do matter and you should have left the Skype names up, it helps.

One girl just replied to me and said she saw my ad and has now stopped working for one of the people. She was not getting paid either. So yes a bad client list and names would actually help.

marymel06
marymel p Member Since: Aug 7, 2016
4 of 10

Omg, you are talking about **Edited for Community Guidelines**  I also have written 10 articles for him. He didn't payed yet. 

shaneor555
5 of 10

Yep. Stop writing for them immediately. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 10

If people would just follow the rules, not work without a contract and without being hired on Upwork, all this nonsense would stop within weeks.

Those people only get away with it because freelancers break the rules, violate the terms of service, and don't bother to find out at least the most ridiculously obvious basics of how this site works.

shaneor555
7 of 10

You're honestly blaming the newbie freelancers like myself rather than the fraudulant professional scammers this website is absolutely full of? You don't deserve to be a community guru.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 10

Shane, you fell for one of the oldest scams in the book and one which is repeatedly mentioned and warned-about in the forum, as well as on a zillion sites on the Internet.

Newbie freelancers like yourself (no matter how smart they think they are), would be doing themselves a favour by reading Upwork's terms of service and all the help pages which include some of the pitfalls you and others have experienced.

Naive newcomers are partly to blame for the existence of the scamsters. 

Petra has given more good advice on this forum than any other freelancer. There is very little that she does not know about this site - probably even more than some of the mods.

The labels given to freelancers who post on the forum, are not bestowed on a merit basis but on the number of posts.

shaneor555
9 of 10

Well stop wasting time on an idiot like me so and go figure out a way to weed out the scammers. You will always have naive newcomers. You don't always have to have scammers.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 10

When people are working outside the system for people they found on the site they are scamming as much as they are being scammed.

It is almost impossible to get scammed here if you:

1) Do not do any work without being hired

2) On hourly contracts, use the tracker with proper activity and memos

3) On fixed rate contracts only deliver work for funded milestones from payment verified clients.

The Internet is a dangerous place for naive people, which makes it imperative that those who don't understand how things work take a few minutes to familiarise themselves with the bare basics.

Chances are you'll never make the same mistake again, so consider it a wake-up call and move on from it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS