🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Wary freelancer
Page options
tracyb1979
Community Member

Wary freelancer

As an image editor I find it bull dust that I do all the photoshop work requested by a potential client as they would like to see my work before employing and I've been sent an image by them to work on which I do and send back only to know never hear from them again because guess what they've just received the work for free. Also why if I can't even get one potential client to even acknowledge my proposal should I buy connects as you call them because as far as I can tell I'll be spending money left right and center applying for jobs that may not even exist and this job website is pocketing my money. So until I by some miracle actually do get work from this website you won't get a dime out of me. Upwork should prove themselves and all potential employers before demanding or rather expecting payment in order to make use of their services. If all these jobs were readily available why can't they go onto one of the free to use websites that are available all over the internet, what the hell makes Upwork so unique and enticing? It's not like we get support from them as an employee or any benefits or guaranteed work! If I got some kind of support like ensuring payment and jobs and things a normal business offers or something similar yes then you'd get my hard earned money but until such time that I actually get work or even acknowledged for my proposal you won't get a dime from me and I shall continue to be wary of buying any connects in order to apply for a position that may or may not exist. Do clients looking for staff have to pay a fee to advertise? Probably not is my guess!
6 REPLIES 6
kirnazdogan
Community Member

I don't want you to see me as a lawyer of Upwork, so I'm just a freelancer who understands and agrees with the way Upwork do the things.

First of all, if there is no client, there is no need for freelancers. Upwork's main money source is clients because we, freelancers, only pay $0,1 for 1 connect. A huge system can't stand only by using this money.

Secondly, you should never work for free. If you continue to do this, you will be cheated not only on Upwork but also on every other freelancing platforms. Just show the client your previous works, don't work for free.

Finally, you're always free to close your Upwork account and start freelancing on every other platform. This is completely up to you. To me, I choose Upwork just because it's the leading secure platform and the Upwork team is always ready to help you at any time you need.

sergio-soria
Community Member

If they want to see your work and expertise send samples of previous jobs you have done, they don't need to be 'real' projects. I mean they could be photos of your pets that you decided to edit. Never send a sample using material they provide, because that's a way for them to get the job done by several freelancers for free. If they specifically ask for that in the job post flag it as inappropriate. Don't waste your time with those. If they want to test they must pay for the test.

And yeah, connects are precious, so you need to be very careful before applying.

michael_skaggs
Community Member

Tracy B wrote:
As an image editor I find it bull dust that I do all the photoshop work requested by a potential client as they would like to see my work before employing and I've been sent an image by them to work on which I do and send back only to know never hear from them again because guess what they've just received the work for free. Also why if I can't even get one potential client to even acknowledge my proposal should I buy connects as you call them because as far as I can tell I'll be spending money left right and center applying for jobs that may not even exist and this job website is pocketing my money. So until I by some miracle actually do get work from this website you won't get a dime out of me. Upwork should prove themselves and all potential employers before demanding or rather expecting payment in order to make use of their services. If all these jobs were readily available why can't they go onto one of the free to use websites that are available all over the internet, what the hell makes Upwork so unique and enticing? It's not like we get support from them as an employee or any benefits or guaranteed work! If I got some kind of support like ensuring payment and jobs and things a normal business offers or something similar yes then you'd get my hard earned money but until such time that I actually get work or even acknowledged for my proposal you won't get a dime from me and I shall continue to be wary of buying any connects in order to apply for a position that may or may not exist. Do clients looking for staff have to pay a fee to advertise? Probably not is my guess!

Showing a client your skills is why you have a portfolio. Every guide and freelancer around will tell you to not do any work on the client's project unless and until you have a contract. It's also against the TOS for them to request that you do the work before deciding to hire you. If you're not simply ignoring or reporting those clients and moving on, then that's on you.

Also, connects are a thing because otherwise there would be an avalanche of "please sir I would like job from you" proposals for every job posted, and clients would have to sift through all of that garbage to find a few freelancers who actually talk about how they'll solve that client's specific need. I find it far less stressful to simply think of connects as postage stamps. You have to have a certain amount of postage to send anything through the mail, and you factor that into your cost of doing business. Connects and proposals are essentially the same thing.

As to demanding some kind of guarantee of work, you clearly don't know what this platform is all about. Upwork is a marketplace. Nothing more, nothing less. They're here to facilitate interactions between clients and freelancers, but it's up to you to market yourself in a way that gets results. Nobody is going to guarantee you a job or force a client to respond to your proposal. That would be akin to walking into a store, and that store demanding that you buy something, even if you don't find what you were looking for. If you find yourself sending off a bunch of proposals and getting nothing, then maybe it's time to reassess both your proposal style and your portfolio. You're in a highly saturated field, and there will always be someone who will claim to do it cheaper. So you need to convince a client that it's worth paying you to do it right vs someone who will just do it cheap.

On that topic, I would definitely work on your profile. Starting off on an adversarial note is not going to win people over. So make your profile attractive and inviting, and do the same with your proposals.

And finally, the best piece of advice I've seen on here is that once you submit a proposal, forget about it entirely unless the client contacts you. Between that and thinking of connects as postage, you'll save yourself a ton of stress.

Tracy, in addition to all the good advice you've received, I would suggest that for two of your porfolio images, you might want to highlight what you changed by circling it or perhaps adding an arrow pointing at the part you changed; considering that the before/after images aren't side by side, it's rather difficult to notice that you removed or added a small towel to the image.

Tracy B wrote:
As an image editor I find it bull dust that I do all the photoshop work requested by a potential client as they would like to see my work before employing and I've been sent an image by them to work on which I do and send back only to know never hear from them again because guess what they've just received the work for free.

That is definitely "bull dust." Very poor decision on your part. Did you not bother to read about how Upwork works, or did you consciously decide to ignore the rule about clients asking for free work? 

Also why if I can't even get one potential client to even acknowledge my proposal should I buy connects as you call them because as far as I can tell I'll be spending money left right and center applying for jobs that may not even exist and this job website is pocketing my money.

That's a smart decision. If clients aren't responding well to you, it doesn't make any sense to keep doing the same thing that isn't working. 

So until I by some miracle actually do get work from this website you won't get a dime out of me. Upwork should prove themselves and all potential employers before demanding or rather expecting payment in order to make use of their services.

As you suggest, that would be very, very unlikely. So, it sounds like you've made a decision not to use Upwork. It's not for everyone. 

If all these jobs were readily available why can't they go onto one of the free to use websites that are available all over the internet, what the hell makes Upwork so unique and enticing?

Because Upwork spends millions of dollars in marketing and advertising to draw clients to the site. Free sites can't do that because they don't have millions of dollars to spend getting the word out.

It's not like we get support from them as an employee or any benefits or guaranteed work!

Well, of course not. You're not an employee. You don't work for Upwork. And, of course, Upwork has no way to force clients who have chosen not to work with you to do so (nor should it).

If I got some kind of support like ensuring payment and jobs and things a normal business offers or something similar yes

Like spending millions of dollars doing your advertising for you? Verifying client payment methods before you start work? Holding your funds for fixed price jobs in escrow while you work? Paying for hourly jobs OUT OF ITS OWN POCKET if the client flakes and you've used the time tracker properly? 

then you'd get my hard earned money but until such time that I actually get work or even acknowledged for my proposal you won't get a dime from me and I shall continue to be wary of buying any connects in order to apply for a position that may or may not exist. Do clients looking for staff have to pay a fee to advertise? Probably not is my guess!

There are different types of client accounts. The lowest tier is free, and allows a client to post a job and invite no more than three freelancers to interview. Accounts with more reporting and the ability to invite more freelancers cost $49.95/month and up. 

Most of us who make a lot of money here are quite glad that Upwork has preserved the free account and doesn't drive away clients by asking them for money. After all, the reason we're here is that there are so many clients gathered in one place.

tlsanders
Community Member

After responding, I looked at your profile and saw that the very first line of your overview declares that you refuse to use the Upwork system properly and won't submit files as the terms of service require, so that may be one reason you aren't getting responses. I'm a little surprised your profile hasn't been removed.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members