cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was accepted to work but never received any work

bergeronclaude16

Hi

In April 2016 I was invited to do a job for a client. Problem is the client never gave me any work at all, He was giving work to other freelancers.

Thank you

16 REPLIES 16
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Claudette,

Contact your client and ask them to end the contract. If they do not respond to your request, go ahead and close the contract yourself.

Make sure to discuss a job in detail before accepting the offer.

Untitled

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Claudette,

Contact your client and ask them to end the contract. If they do not respond to your request, go ahead and close the contract yourself.

This is actually the clients fault - I am sure she discussed it and I highly doubt the client said "I will hire you but not give you any work" and the freelancer agreed to it. Clients disappear often because maybe they have a great idea for a project, get all motivated for it and then it falls to the back burner because of other responsibilities and it's not all that urgent. I think it's time for Upwork to stop punishing/docking FREELANCERS scores when CLIENTS disappear. Because that is exactly how the system is set up right now. Upwork blames the freelancer for EVERYthing that can go wrong in a contract. Please place the responsibility where it lies.  

Please. 

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Claudette,

As a matter of interest Vladimir, has Upwork stopped automatically closing an inactive contract after 90 days.

Either way this freelancer is likely to lose out, as the client is still allowed to leave private feedback. And on a first job this is not great.

Nichola: Upwork only closes inactive fixed-price contracts.

If the original poster was hired for an hourly contract, this contract would not get closed automatically. It would be paused automatically due to inactivity, but would remain as an open contract that the contractor can not log time on.

Hi Nichola,

If a fixed-price contract has funds in Escrow and is inactive for 76 days, the process of auto-closure will begin. The client and freelancer will be notified.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Guru

If you registered in July, how did you get a job offer in April?

@Virginia F wrote:

If you registered in July, how did you get a job offer in April?

The July date you see on here is when she registered in the forums. My registration date appears here as 3 months after I started working because that is when I found the fourms.... 

Hello

I registered in the forum in July but I actually register as a freelancer before July.

My mistake ... always thought the date when you click on a profile was the join date. But part of it was that I couldn't figure out why you let this go for 6 months. I would have said goodbye to the client after a month of not hearing anything.

And what someone else mentioned here - UPWORK, you have got to stop punishing freelancers becaus of slacker clients. We should not fear closing contracts because of inactivity ... inactivity that has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with the client.

When someone closes a contract, do you look at reasons why, or do you automatically assume the freelancer messed up? 

I have a question because I do not work on an hourly basis. If you close an inactive contract, how do you leave feedback for the miscreant client, or isn't this possible?

Hi Virginia and Nichola,

A contract isn't going to be reflected negatively in freelancer's JSS simply because it was closed by the freelancer. Moreover, it can still be reflected positively as the client can leave very good feedback even if the contract was closed by the freelancer. Even if the client doesn't leave feedback, a few of such contracts will not affect JSS negatively unless they constitute a pattern.

If freelancer closes an hourly contract, they can leave feedback on it.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Right ... thanks Valeria. But, I bet we'd all like to know what the criteria is to determine the effect on a freelancers profile?

"A contract isn't going to be reflected negatively in freelancer's JSS simply because it was closed by the freelancer"

Further illumination of this statement would be welcome.

I am not sure I understand your request, Virginia.

To clarify, for JSS who closes the contract doesn't matter. It's simply not among the factors that are taken into account. This article contains the list of factors that are taken into account.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

I am not sure I understand your request, Virginia.

To clarify, for JSS who closes the contract doesn't matter. It's simply not among the factors that are taken into account. This article contains the list of factors that are taken into account.

But a contract closed WITHOUT pay...does affect the JSS of the freelancer, no matter who closes it, even if it was the client who disappears.  That's an important part. 

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Virginia and Nichola,

A contract isn't going to be reflected negatively in freelancer's JSS simply because it was closed by the freelancer. Moreover, it can still be reflected positively as the client can leave very good feedback even if the contract was closed by the freelancer. Even if the client doesn't leave feedback, a few of such contracts will not affect JSS negatively unless they constitute a pattern.

If freelancer closes an hourly contract, they can leave feedback on it.

Valeria, with respect this is not what you have said in other threads.

However, my question was: How does a freelancer give feedback to a client when the freelancer closes an hourly contract? I know a client can leave private feedback, but can the freelancer?

@Nichola L wrote:

Valeria, with respect this is not what you have said in other threads.

Which part are you referring to, Nichola? We've always stated that only a pattern of No Feedback contracts affects Job Success score negatively and if a client rates the freelancer positively, it will contribute positively to JSS even if the freelancer closes the contract.

@Nichola L wrote:

However, my question was: How does a freelancer give feedback to a client when the freelancer closes an hourly contract? I know a client can leave private feedback, but can the freelancer?

This is the screen a freelancer will see right after they click "End Contract" button on the detail page for an hourly contract:

Screenshot_26.png

So as I said in my earlier comment, if freelancer closes an hourly contract, they can leave feedback on it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS