cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was just interviewed: HUGE SCAM

Christina P Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
1 of 3

I am not sure how to ethically go about warning y'all without breaching any of the rules/guidelines set forth here. So, without using names/company names I will describe the situation. This way my first contact via oDesk for an interview and I followed the procedure/intructions for an interview to be conducted via Yahoo Messenger.  The "hiring manager" introduced himself and the global comglomorant company he claimed to represent. Red flags all over the field so while he was attempting to phish more information from me, instructing me to send to a .org address, I looked up the registered agent office here in the Unitied States and phoned them. His name is in fact attached to the company, back in 1906 when he sold it to the now "Company" and he died 1943. The email adress, yahoo ID is not connected at all to the Company.  So, heads up, use Google. Do a little homework.

Thanks.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 3

Great Job!!!! This is a well-known scam and so many new freelancers fall for it.  They prey on new freelancers.  Please report the job job so that it may be taken down quickly.  And as long as you stay on your toes like you have with this one, you well have a successful freelancing career.  Welcome to oDesk.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
3 of 3

Hi Christina,

Welcome.

You did the right thing. Many of us have been in your shoes. I Google a lot of companies before going ahead with a role. Sometimes I contact the HR department to find out if indeed they are hiring on oDesk.

Many scammers know that potential freelancers will check them out, so they attach themselves to real companies or use readily available information.

You have to use your gut to get by in this game. This Yahoo address scam thing has been here a while.

You'll do just fine on here if you use your instinct. I hope you find a legitimate role soon. There are a lot of good clients here.

Gill

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS