Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wasted Connects

joewrecksdecoy
Ace Contributor
Jorex D Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
1 of 19

I can't help but notice the wasted connects we freelancers to deal with. Like they're not rejected, closed, or whatnot. Making us expect nothing. How to deal with these ?

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 19

In the olden days, we mailed out sometimes dozens of resumes.  We spent postage and paper costs and usually got nothing back.  No different.

alberto_garrido
Alberto G Member Since: Dec 28, 2016
3 of 19

Nothing back? I got a job that lasted for 20 years and allowed me to buy a house and grow a family. We should not be comparing apples and oranges.  This system is rigged. Don't listen to the community managers that will do anything so you stay. Spent 2 hours completing my profile and doing tests, scored the first out of 40k, and it was an utterly waste of time. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 19

Alberto G wrote:

Nothing back? I got a job that lasted for 20 years and allowed me to buy a house and grow a family. We should not be comparing apples and oranges.  This system is rigged. Don't listen to the community managers that will do anything so you stay. Spent 2 hours completing my profile and doing tests, scored the first out of 40k, and it was an utterly waste of time. LEAVE AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

She's not a community manager. She is a professional that is doing well here. Don't listen to the naysayers. This is a great site and many professionals succeed on it. You just have to learn what works best for you. If you're not getting replies, tweak your cover letter. Be picky with who you apply to.

I never go through my connects, ever. I only target long term contracts or contracts that have multiple audio hours, that's my forte. It works for me. You have to find what works for you. Don't let anyone tell you to leave or you can't do it. If you want this to work for you, it will work for you.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
alberto_garrido
Alberto G Member Since: Dec 28, 2016
5 of 19

With all due respect, you're not being believable. Hire me as community manager and I will show you how it's done. Every time you defend a company, you're playing a character, so there must be some sort of literary coherence and logic in the speech. Currently, you can fool a 15 years old, maybe a 20 years old, but that age range won't usually pay for the premium subscription nor buy more connects, so in my opinion you are forgetting your target (mature audiences).
Switch the pursuit of happyness bs to a more reality oriented and fact based fable like "if you use your connects every month, you may get hired, therefore you should at least come here once a month. Nothing to lose, buddy". This way you keep the customer engaged and there's a chance that he/she will buy a subscription some day in the future.

The middle term is the conclusion that links the two extremes, the virtue is in it. Right now you're in one extreme, the optimism, and that's as counterproductive as being negative. Hope I helped you.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 19

Hi Alberto,

I'm sorry you haven't had any luck winning a job on Upwork yet. However, it looks like you registered today and it usually takes a bit of time and perseverance for new freelancers to land their first job.

As Petra and Katrina (who are not Community managers but are successful and experienced freelancers) suggested, you may need to revise your profile and proposal strategy. Add some portfolio pieces to showcase your experience. In each proposal focus on the project you are applying to instead of sending generic text. 

Check out this post for more useful resources for new freelancers.

~ Valeria
Upwork
m_ramzan24
Muhammed R Member Since: Oct 25, 2018
7 of 19
Rightly said Velaria.
Its been two months i have utilized all connects but still no response can you have a look on my profile and suggest if any change needed?
Thanks
Muhammed Ramzaan
halzorqa
AlHassan A Member Since: Aug 25, 2021
8 of 19

Dear, 

I want to ask you if you do not mind. What will happen if I waste all my connections and get nothing ...!! how would I be able to make another proposal..!!?? 

please answer me Smiley Happy 
Thanks in advans.

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
9 of 19

AlHassan A wrote:

Dear, 

I want to ask you if you do not mind. What will happen if I waste all my connections and get nothing ...!! how would I be able to make another proposal..!!?? 

please answer me Smiley Happy 
Thanks in advans.

Wait for the next billing cycle to get 10 free ones, or buy them. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 19

AlHassan A wrote:

What will happen if I waste all my connections and get nothing ...!! how would I be able to make another proposal..!!?? 

Buy more connects

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS