Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wasted Connects

joewrecksdecoy
Ace Contributor
Jorex D Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
11 of 19

If my memory serves me right, there's a monthly free connects that you can receive. I believe it's 10 free connects every month, not so sure anymore.

What I suggest tho is when you earn from a landed project, spend $5-10 to buy connects so you can send more proposals in the near future without worrying of running out of connects.

Also, receiving a reply from a proposal automatically grants you 10 connects, so, there's that.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
12 of 19

@Alberto G wrote:

With all due respect, you're not being believable. Hire me as community manager and I will show you how it's done. Every time you defend a company, you're playing a character, so there must be some sort of literary coherence and logic in the speech. Currently, you can fool a 15 years old, maybe a 20 years old, but that age range won't usually pay for the premium subscription nor buy more connects, so in my opinion you are forgetting your target (mature audiences).
Switch the pursuit of happyness bs to a more reality oriented and fact based fable like "if you use your connects every month, you may get hired, therefore you should at least come here once a month. Nothing to lose, buddy". This way you keep the customer engaged and there's a chance that he/she will buy a subscription some day in the future.

The middle term is the conclusion that links the two extremes, the virtue is in it. Right now you're in one extreme, the optimism, and that's as counterproductive as being negative. Hope I helped you.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about above and in your other reply..  I've looked at your profile, and I come to the same conclusion. you list yourself as a translator but you've created some sort of story about web design.

IMO< if I were a client looking for a translator and read your profile I would not hire you. Also, if I were looking to have a web page created, and read your profile I would not hire you. You need to be much more professional, list your skills and qualifications and including samples of web sites you've done. And if that is the same way you've written your proposals, then I can definitely say that's why you're not getting jobs.

I do comment you on your SPEEDY, tests taken, with the majority of them 7 minutes or less. Very impressive since it takes more then 3 or 4 minutes to READ through 40 questions never mind looking over the answers and clicking on the right or wrong ones.

Finally, choose another more presentable picture of yourself. Remember, you've got to market yourself on sites such as this, You're competing against hundreds of professional freelancers with much better profile overviews that showcase their skills, experience, expertise and qualifications in CLEAR precise detail.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 19

@Alberto G wrote:

With all due respect, you're not being believable. Hire me as community manager and I will show you how it's done. Every time you defend a company, you're playing a character, so there must be some sort of literary coherence and logic in the speech. Currently, you can fool a 15 years old, maybe a 20 years old, but that age range won't usually pay for the premium subscription nor buy more connects, so in my opinion you are forgetting your target (mature audiences).

Do you sincerely believe that because you haven't had success here, no one could?

I'm sure the other freelancers here don't care what you buy; I don't even believe that Upwork cares if you buy a premium membership or buy extra connects. Most of us who are successful here do neither.

Switch the pursuit of happyness bs to a more reality oriented and fact based fable like "if you use your connects every month, you may get hired, therefore you should at least come here once a month. Nothing to lose, buddy". This way you keep the customer engaged and there's a chance that he/she will buy a subscription some day in the future.

Here's a reality-based non-fable for you: I use Upwork as one avenue for freelance work, part-time, and earn about $2k/month here. On average, I use 10-20 connects per month, and always end the month with more than 30 unused, which I lose because I am not a plus member. That's fine, because I can't imagine ever using 60 connects in a month. 

There are many professionals here earning far more than I am, and using far fewer connects to do it.

The middle term is the conclusion that links the two extremes, the virtue is in it. Right now you're in one extreme, the optimism, and that's as counterproductive as being negative. Hope I helped you.

i'm sorry you feel people sharing their honest experiences is counterproductive. That seems an absurd world view that will ensure that you succeed nowhere.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
14 of 19

Hi Alberto,

When I switched from Elance to Upwork it still took me several months to get the first job here even though I had a nice profile that was moved from Elance to Upwork. It is hard to get that first job here. One has to get used to the kind of clients using Upwork. But there are some really good and well paying clients here. Every now and again you find one

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
15 of 19

@Alberto G wrote:

(...) and it was an utterly waste of time. 

Gosh, your attitude conveys so much frustration and negativity after just one day on Upwork.

Your profile needs a complete rework, your photo including, your tests look like they were cheated and you are obviously not happy at all here.

Maybe in your case creating an account on Upwork really was a waste of time.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
16 of 19

I suspect you would get more responses if you used a more professional profile photo, completely reworked your overview and removed the "team" mention (big policy violation)

View solution in original post

joewrecksdecoy
Ace Contributor
Jorex D Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
17 of 19

ah, okay.. will work on it.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
18 of 19

Alberto wrote earlier, "Spent 2 hours completing my profile and doing tests, scored the first out of 40k, and it was an utterly waste of time."

The profile may be technically 100% complete, but ....

• Your english is not Native or Bilingual based on your writing in this thread (eg. "utterly waste of time")
  • The skills listed have nothing to do with translation
  • The lengthy overview has nothing to do with translation and tries so hard to be clever that it may annoy or confuse clients more often than impress them
  • There's no portfolio
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 19

@Jorex D wrote:

I can't help but notice the wasted connects we freelancers to deal with. Like they're not rejected, closed, or whatnot. Making us expect nothing. How to deal with these ?

In response to the OP: Jorex, there's a few things you could improve. First, clients don't need to know you're currently a college student. Second, in your portfolio you have your CV includes your contact info (big mistake, it looks like an invite for circumvention and is against the ToS), and on top of that you describe it as "rush" and "crappy". Your portfolio is there for you to show best work. Why would a client hire someone who has "rush" and "crappy" work in their portfolio? Then your other portfolio item is a link to your Google drive (again, letting people contact you offsite, bad bad bad), which clients aren't going to want to click. I don't want to waste my time going somewhere else to view something I should be able to view here, and I don't want you to see my google drive email address either.

@Alberto G wrote:

Nothing back? I got a job that lasted for 20 years and allowed me to buy a house and grow a family. We should not be comparing apples and oranges.  This system is rigged. Don't listen to the community managers that will do anything so you stay. Spent 2 hours completing my profile and doing tests, scored the first out of 40k, and it was an utterly waste of time. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

In response to Alberto: I'd ask you how many CVs you had to send out to get that job but seeing as it was 20 years ago maybe you didn't have to send that many. What Mary was referring to is that you have to cast a wide net when you're job hunting, whether it be in the bricks & mortar world or in the virtual world. You may apply for many jobs before you land one.

Now, as for your profile, you've already received feedback from some of the other freelancers in the community (for some reason, you don't seem to believe that they are not employees. You can click on their names to view their freelancer profiles, and you'll notice that Valeria (who also responded to you in this thread) has an Upwork logo next to her name, while other community members don't). Let me give you some feedback as a translation client (still not an employee of Upwork!), who is therefore in your area:

1) I have absolutely no idea what you do. Your title says "Certified translator, writer." (you don't need the period on the end there, by the way). Your skills listed are "Reverse Engineering", "Socket Programming", and "Linux System Administration". Then your overview *seems* to be suggesting that you're an SEO expert - it's extremely hard to tell, because of the weird way you've written it. What exactly are you offering?

2) Your English language level is definitely not native/bilingual. You've made several errors with idiom in your profile text ("dust of your wake"? A wake is the trail a boat leaves in water). You should change that to fluent. Also, if you do want to offer translation, you should add whatever language you want to translate into as a language (I guess Spanish).

3) Your profile photo is terrible. I usually don't care that much about profile photos but one like yours, where it's very up close, is not at all appealing.

4) "You're obviously a clever guy". Not all clients are guys and most women clients won't appreciate the assumption (I certainly don't).

5) Talking about the "SEO monks of northern Tibet" is borderline offensive, given tensions around Tibet's status.

6) This whole profile where you're trying to write it like some kind of conversation or something just doesn't work. I had to force myself to read it to give you feedback. If you applied for any of my jobs your proposal would be immediately thrown out. Clients want to know what you can do to solve their problem. They don't want to read an "amusing" story.

7) Seriously, what skills exactly are you offering here? What types of jobs are you applying for?

I probably sound harsh. Believe me when I say that you will hear far worse in your freelancing career. If you can't handle constructive criticism maybe you should go back to your 20 year job. If you think that spending 2 hours to create your (bad) profile should be enough to get jobs handed to you, you're definitely in the wrong place.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS