cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wasting Connects to send a message

Ace Contributor
Josh P Member Since: Aug 20, 2013
11 of 15

It is interesting how easy it is to be misunderstood.  Here, some of you (not all) are disagreeing with me, then proceeding to explain that I should do exactly what I said I did, while telling me that I should not do what I never said I did.

I agree - lecturing, or schooling the client would have been bad.  Good thing I did not do that.

I agree - submitting a proposal explaining what I could do for what price is good.  Good thing this is what I did.

I do not see where the confusion is coming from.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
12 of 15

@Josh P wrote:

It is interesting how easy it is to be misunderstood.  Here, some of you (not all) are disagreeing with me, then proceeding to explain that I should do exactly what I said I did, while telling me that I should not do what I never said I did.

I agree - lecturing, or schooling the client would have been bad.  Good thing I did not do that.

I agree - submitting a proposal explaining what I could do for what price is good.  Good thing this is what I did.

I do not see where the confusion is coming from.

There is no conclusion. This is an ongoing debate. The world is not made of bad guys and good guys. This is what's nice about being able to use this forum. I still think it's worth using unwanted connects to send messages to clients. I don't call that lecturing but explaining the system. Not only about the $5 offer. Sometimes they need a helping hand, and I don't mind helping.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
13 of 15

I think the 5$ jobs fall in 3 categories:

1. The client is serious and only wants to spend 5$.

2. The client uses 5$ as a placeholder, and does say so specifically in the job posting. 

3. The client puts 5$ as a placeholder but does not say so specifically in the job posting. 

My strategy is: ignore no 1. 

As for no 3: I found a job with a budget of 5$, but the job description was thoughtful and concise, I applied, and found a nice client willing to pay a nice rate. 

I'm not filtering out by this criteria, I might miss a good job from a nice client. 

Aric C Member Since: Aug 21, 2019
14 of 15

I agree with you on this.

Seeing these low amounts only makes me pass over them, And then I eventually get discouraged and move on. I don't entirely feel that it's fair for clients to use the excuse of "we don't know what this would cost" as their reasoning. Clients should be researching these things, it's not that hard to google an inquiry and see what others have paid for certain services. Always take the oppertunity to educate yourself on what a certain job should cost and the work that goes into it. I agree that Upwork along with other sites should have a legend of some sort for clients to go by as far as jobs and maybe a range or pricing. Believe me when I say that no job you need completed will be $5... ever. At that price, do it yourself. 

I also would like more info pertaining to each job from the clients. I keep seeing 1 or 2 sentence jobs that tell me nothing. I'm not wasting connects on a job I know nothing about. So Im with you and hope to see a change. 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
15 of 15

Aric C wrote:

I agree with you on this.

Seeing these low amounts only makes me pass over them, And then I eventually get discouraged and move on. I don't entirely feel that it's fair for clients to use the excuse of "we don't know what this would cost" as their reasoning. Clients should be researching these things, it's not that hard to google an inquiry and see what others have paid for certain services. Always take the oppertunity to educate yourself on what a certain job should cost and the work that goes into it. I agree that Upwork along with other sites should have a legend of some sort for clients to go by as far as jobs and maybe a range or pricing. Believe me when I say that no job you need completed will be $5... ever. At that price, do it yourself. 

I also would like more info pertaining to each job from the clients. I keep seeing 1 or 2 sentence jobs that tell me nothing. I'm not wasting connects on a job I know nothing about. So Im with you and hope to see a change. 

Traditionally, it is up to the business selling a product or service to educate the customer as to the value of that product or service. Businesses that communicate both their value and unique differentiators well are must more likely to succeed than those that do not. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS