🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Wasting connects on scams
Page options
kristin207
Community Member

Wasting connects on scams

How can I get back connects spent on applying for a SCAM? This is becoming the norm. I apply to 10-20 projects, and at least 5 of them reply in a way that clearly identifies themselves as a scam.

I spend connects and take time to personalize proposals.

Nearly every proposal sent is "boosted" because otherwise, since that became a feature, my proposals ARE NOT OPENED unless they are boosted.

I had just reinstated my Freelancer Plus status moments before receiving this most recent nonsense, and it is the last straw in pushing me to explore other platforms. Upwork "Feedback" is not able to help with this. 

4 REPLIES 4
celgins
Community Member

If Upwork identifies a job as a scam or a job that violates other TOS, Upwork will remove the job and those Connects will be returned to you. I would not wait around for it to happen; especially if you have not flag those jobs as inappropriate. I would also follow up with Upwork Support by contacting them through a support ticket to identify those scam jobs since the flag as inappropriate feature does not always result in the job being removed.

Freelancers also have to get better at identifying those scams. I am not criticizing you, but the best way to avoid these is to identify them and never apply. If you have not already, be sure to read Upwork's article on how best to identify scams.

bundie702
Community Member

Check your Connects history so you can see which Connects for which job have been returned.

d9fc6d8d
Community Member

Kristin, Upwork won't do anything about scam job posts. That wouldn't benefit their profit margins.

The more scam job posts -> the more freelancers waste their connects -> the more connects they have to buy.

Given Upwork's recent history, I don't imagine they would be concerned about this. My job feed (which I have already optimized, mind you) consists of around 30-40% of scams. Every. Single. Day.

sajal36
Community Member

How can I get back connects spent on applying for a SCAM? This is becoming the norm. I apply to 10-20 projects, and at least 5 of them reply in a way that clearly identifies themselves as a scam.

Once upwork cancel or remove the job than only connects are re-imbursed

I spend connects and take time to personalize proposals.

This is excellent and this make you standout from the crowd. However you might want to evaluate whether you want to apply for job which does not have relevant case study in your profile. Although you might be skilled on the same. I believe additional skills are great intangible benefit when you execute any project.

Nearly every proposal sent is "boosted" because otherwise, since that became a feature, my proposals ARE NOT OPENED unless they are boosted.

I believe the perception that only boosted proposal get client attention and get opened is incorrect. Boosted proposal put you higher up in client queue, so this is beneficial only if you are late in submitting proposal and client have already received plenty responses. 

I had just reinstated my Freelancer Plus status moments before receiving this most recent nonsense, 

I think freelance Plus is just enabler for certain aspect like personalised profile Url, Bid range etc. So banking solely on the same for proposal win might not be reasonable.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members