🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ways to check if a Client is legitamite
Page options
timothyjohnson51
Community Member

Ways to check if a Client is legitamite

I feel like an idiot. I finally got work on here, and I'm now scared that it's with a non-legitamite client.

So, this client was asking for edits and proofreading on a thesis. Their HR decided to interview me over Google Hangouts chat. The interveiw felt plenty legitimate, asking the right types of questions you'd expect. 

He asked me for a photo of ID and email, home address, and email so a letter of employment could be sent to me.

Like an idiot, I complied, albiet a little confused by it. 

The client then had me sign a letter of employment.. Fortunately, all it really says I agree to do this job for the pay he listed, and it's at-will, so I can leave if need be.

What really got me suspicious is when he said the job will done on a different computer, that I'm going to buy from a "trusted vendor", though his company will be sending scan of a check for me to mobile deposit.

I researched into the company and now I'm kind of torn. It seems potentially legitamite, but I'm finding very little. There's a site and contact information. Very little else comes up when researching them though. What really tips me off is the address listed doesn't seem to belong to them.

While in theory, this could all be legitamite, and I'm being paranoid, I want to make sure it's not a fraud.

I'm wondering 1) How can I tell if this is a legititamite cleint and 2) How do I proceed if this is a scam?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cupidmedia
Community Member

Definitely a scam. Report them to Upwork, stop communicating with them, don't buy anything they tell you to buy.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
cupidmedia
Community Member

Definitely a scam. Report them to Upwork, stop communicating with them, don't buy anything they tell you to buy.

Thanks, I can't believe I fell for that.

Any advice for how to proceed beyond that?

IE: Can they do anything with the photo of my license?

Timothy:

This particular scam is mainly interested in getting the money from your bank account.

I don't believe they are primarily identity thieves.

Anyway, what's done is done. Nothing you can do about it. So unless you want to invest in a service such as IdentityLock, I would advise you to learn from your mistake here, but otherwise let this go.

Ok, that makes sense.

Will do.

Thank you.

Timothy J wrote:

Thanks, I can't believe I fell for that.

Any advice for how to proceed beyond that?

IE: Can they do anything with the photo of my license?

Um, I'm not an expert, but I would contact your local DMV to protect yourself. 

Good point. I will let them know.

Thank you!

Do I need to notify them if I'm ending our arrengement, since I signed a letter of employment?

Or will silence suffice?

It's a scam..report them to upwork

Timothy J wrote:

Do I need to notify them if I'm ending our arrengement, since I signed a letter of employment?

Or will silence suffice?

You have no legal arrangement since they're a scam. You don't have to notify them of anything. I would advise you cease all contact with them. If you try to say you don't want to work with them or something they'll either ask you why or try to threaten or scare you. Just don't talk to them at all.

Timothy J wrote:

Or will silence suffice?

You can notify them that you know they are scammers, if you feel so inclined. 

re: "Do I need to notify them if I'm ending our arrengement, since I signed a letter of employment? Or will silence suffice?"

There was never any real employment or job. This was just a scam.

The right thing for you to do is to NOT contact them at all. Never contact them again.

kat303
Community Member

Timothy - Yes, they can do a hell of a lot knowing your drivers license number It's the second most important piece of information other then your social security number. If they wanted a photo of you, it's right here on the site. NO need to send photos or any type of personal information to clients. If you sent a photo copy of your entire license. (which includes the drivers license number) you will need to contact the DMV in your state. contact the police so they and you have a paper trail, Put a freeze on your credit reports with each of the 3 credit reporting companies (such as Experian,)

Google Hangouts == SCAM

And that buy a computer = SCAM 

tlbp
Community Member

Timothy J wrote:

I feel like an idiot. I finally got work on here, and I'm now scared that it's with a non-legitamite client.

So, this client was asking for edits and proofreading on a thesis. Their HR decided to interview me over Google Hangouts chat. The interveiw felt plenty legitimate, asking the right types of questions you'd expect. 

He asked me for a photo of ID and email, home address, and email so a letter of employment could be sent to me.

Like an idiot, I complied, albiet a little confused by it. 

The client then had me sign a letter of employment.. Fortunately, all it really says I agree to do this job for the pay he listed, and it's at-will, so I can leave if need be.

What really got me suspicious is when he said the job will done on a different computer, that I'm going to buy from a "trusted vendor", though his company will be sending scan of a check for me to mobile deposit.

I researched into the company and now I'm kind of torn. It seems potentially legitamite, but I'm finding very little. There's a site and contact information. Very little else comes up when researching them though. What really tips me off is the address listed doesn't seem to belong to them.

While in theory, this could all be legitamite, and I'm being paranoid, I want to make sure it's not a fraud.

I'm wondering 1) How can I tell if this is a legititamite cleint and 2) How do I proceed if this is a scam?

They walk you through several steps to ensure that you are committed before leading you to the scam. The more yes's they get from someone before the money scam, the more likely that person is to fall for the scam. They are slowing building a pseudo-trust relationship. Good catch on your part and just in time. 

versailles
Community Member

Timothy J wrote:

Timothy, do not waste your time reading all the documentation that Upwork has put together to help freelancers understand how this platform works, how payment protection works and how to avoid scams.

Just start sending proposals and doing what you're told by people who contact you. You're gonna to save so much time.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members