cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need a new thread for cheap/ bizarre jobs.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 18

Stephen, yeah... I see what you're getting at.

One thing that might be helpful is if oDesk settled on a list of the 50 most common words in the English language, and ran all posts through a filter to make sure they do not contain any words not on that list, as well as any words requiring capitalization.

If this filter could be applied to all posts, then it should eliminate most violations of community guidelines, as well as eliminate any problemantic or non-problematic semantic meaning.

[Um... I'm not really seriously suggesting this.]

In all seriousness, I think oDesk doesn't want the community discussions forum (which can be read be everybody, client and contractor alike) to appear to be harranguing individual clients. So, yeah, one would need to speak in general terms: "I wonder about clients who upload job listings riddled with spelling errors" versus "Preston H is an idiot because his job posting titled 'Need web designer to create new website for my cat' spelled the word 'HTML' as 'HMLT'."

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
12 of 18

A bit of cross-posting here! yes, Marcia has spotted my English sarcasm - apologies, Preston  Man Wink

There's a job posted very recently asking for blueprints for a public healthcare-type  building that has patients, and doctors and nurses working in it. The budget? Less than $60 but more than $40.

I wouldn't want to get sick in that town!

Community Guru
13 of 18

Completely serious response to Stephen:

I think MOST of the time a ridiculous or inappropriate budget is just what it seems.

BUT... there are times when a client posts a job without thinking about the budget amount, because they don't know what something should cost, and they leave a default figure in place or put in a random number.

I have literally been paid thousands of dollars for some projects in which a client put down a budget under $100, and the client told me when I interviewed that they had no idea at all what number to put down. They just wanted to get the job posted so they could talk to professionals.

Christine E Member Since: Oct 7, 2012
14 of 18

I see what you did there. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
15 of 18

We used to have 2 threads in the coffee forum about cheap jobs; the only thing that would get edited was the links to the job posts, describing what the job was about was never a problem. Is this a new rule?

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
16 of 18

There are so many new rules and new interpretations of old rules that I'm not sure anymore if typing this post can get me in trouble.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
17 of 18

From what I know, if you refrain entirely from using any type of electronic device or any form of electronic communications then you have a 67% chance of escaping oDesk censure.

I made this statistic up just now, so it must be potentially true.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
18 of 18

It now being around 0300 UCT 2nd Jan, I noticed a very very recent job posting that suggests in the title that if the freelancer will achieve sales of a product, they will be reimbursed every seven days via an extremely popular financial intermediary company whose name suggests that Reimbursement is your Friend. I presume that this particular job posting is against the spirit of oDesk's terms and conditions as they perceive them, but I don't want to say much more about it in case I make a much more serious breach of the T&C's by making it theoretically possible for anyone on the forum with a lot of time to spare to identify the client in question.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS