cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need notification if client edits job details

Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
1 of 23

I submitted a proposal for a job and reviewed it a little later. I looked at the job posting again and the client had changed the wording. If I hadn't happened to look at it again I would have been totally unaware of the changes.

Can we please have  a notification system if the client edits the job posting? Like on Elance when you are notified of an update.

We could also do with being able to edit our proposals AFTER they have been sent - I would be able to respond to the changes the client made.

Come on Upwork - get your act together. These are very BASIC requirements - enabling a professional Client/Freelancer relationship from the start.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 23

I had an issue back in May with a job after hire changed job description. I was told they were going to look into locking this, but I guess they either didn't care or left it available before  hire.

You can read the full discussion at

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Changing-Job-Description-After-Hired/td-p/81446

I ended up leaving a job and being marked down as he changed the entire job desciption mid way through the hire. 

Community Guru
3 of 23

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for pointing me to the full discussion - very enlightening.

I see the situation hasn't been resolved.

Just another concern in the list of issues and concerns swirling around in the Upwork Community forums.

Nothing ever seems to get 'fixed' in Upwork.

There's so many posts about lots of important issues -  and we freelancers just seem to end up talking amongst ourselves until the thread fades out. Sigh...

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 23

Thanks for the post Chris. We have been seeing this request more often as freelancers from Elance begin using Upwork. We'll revisit this with our Product development team so they can consider the suggestion.

Community Guru
5 of 23

Hi Garnor,

Our messages crossed each other in the ether.

Thanks for replying. And please do implement an update notification for both Client AND Freelancer, with Freelancer having same ability to edit their proposal, as on Elance, ...soon.

EDITED: Incidentally Garnor - what does the 'ACCEPT' button do in a forum message? What is it's purpose?

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
6 of 23

@Chris M wrote:

what does the 'ACCEPT' button do in a forum message? What is it's purpose?

It selects the "best answer" and highlights the "accepted" message with a green frame. It also counts towards the list on the left hand side (top solution authors). The purpose of that one is unknown to me.

Community Guru
7 of 23

THanks Krisztina.

Ace Contributor
Rahul G Member Since: Feb 6, 2015
8 of 23

I am very thankful to Chris who posted it at first place. And there is a long discussion going on and I believe all are correct. Smiley Happy

I just want to add my opinion:

1) There should be flexibility of changing job description, but with next points.

2) If client is not having any hired person and changes description, then all freelancers who have applied on this job should get notifications and an option of withdrawing their bid with "returning connects" ( this can be for limited time after sending that notification).

3) If client has already hired someone (or many), then he/she should not be permitted to change description directly. There should be an option for clients that they can submit their new description request, which can be approved by hired person (all) [each and every hired persons, "every hired person should be agreed on this"] on this job.

I have given my opinion. I hope we'll not be seeing any fight here (No, I am not talking about Chris and Suzanne). I liked the opinions of Chris, Suzanne and all others and I appriciate their contribution. Smiley Happy

Thank you.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 23

Chris,

I would rather see that no one can edit a job after it has been accepted. I ended up with a client who changed things on me and on top of it all I ended up with my JS dropping because he changed the job description and changed what he wanted me to do and gave me tasks to do I had no skills in.

I don't believe a client should be able to change the job description once it is posted. I think it is alright to be able to edit for both before they post. So I would be one who had a review and post so you could edit when you review, but I really don't think either party should be allowed to change their job description or terms after you have submitted a purposal.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
10 of 23

"I really don't think either party should be allowed to change their job description or terms after you have submitted a purposal."

I don't think that's very realistic. What if the client realises, after posting the job, that they need something extra or slightly different? We're (rightly) quick enough to complain when Upwork's bungling screws up our businesses; if a client ended up trapped into paying for work that isn't exactly what their business needs now I doubt they'd be hiring anyone through here again. The way I see it, the client can change their mind about what they want at any time - but if they do it after the offer is made and accepted they should expect to pay extra for it or, as in your case (when you were asked to do something you don't offer), to have certain requests declined. What we can't do is insist their RfP is frozen at the moment they post it.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS