🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » We refunded you 4 Connects: Job was cancelled...
Page options
tonymori
Community Member

We refunded you 4 Connects: Job was cancelled.

Even when the job is cancelled, I am just getting the connects that are boosted. I mean I should get all of connects if a job is no longer available or cancelled. I just review my connects history and at the moment I could confirm you that I only received 4 (the total proposal was 20). Please give your thoughts. Thanks in adavance and best regards.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry if this confused you, and I'm happy to shed some light on what happened. I checked the job post you're referring to, and the client canceled the job after making a hire. In this case, you only received the Connects you used to boost your proposal because you did not receive an eligible interaction while the proposal was boosted. 

Generally, you are charged what you bid if your Boosted Proposal receives an eligible interaction, or your proposal is boosted at the end of the auction. Your Connects balance will be charged when you receive an eligible interaction or when the auction ends, whichever comes first. If you boost your proposal, don't receive an eligible interaction, and are knocked out of the auction before it closes, you will not be charged the Connects you used to boost.

The Connects used to apply for the job (not the ones you used to boost) are only returned if the client cancels the job without making a hire (this doesn't apply to expired job posts) or if a job is removed from the platform because we believe it violates the Upwork TOS. You can check this article for more information.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
LuiggiR

Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry if this confused you, and I'm happy to shed some light on what happened. I checked the job post you're referring to, and the client canceled the job after making a hire. In this case, you only received the Connects you used to boost your proposal because you did not receive an eligible interaction while the proposal was boosted. 

Generally, you are charged what you bid if your Boosted Proposal receives an eligible interaction, or your proposal is boosted at the end of the auction. Your Connects balance will be charged when you receive an eligible interaction or when the auction ends, whichever comes first. If you boost your proposal, don't receive an eligible interaction, and are knocked out of the auction before it closes, you will not be charged the Connects you used to boost.

The Connects used to apply for the job (not the ones you used to boost) are only returned if the client cancels the job without making a hire (this doesn't apply to expired job posts) or if a job is removed from the platform because we believe it violates the Upwork TOS. You can check this article for more information.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
kelly_e
Community Member

Luiggi—Do I understand that if a proposal is in a boosted position, but the job was *cancelled* with no interaction, your connects are not refunded?

After not boosting for many months, because I wasn't seeing any ROI, I gave it a shot a couple of days ago. The job was cancelled for unknown reason shortly afterward, but my connects were not returned.

If this is now the policy, even when a job is taken down, that's... the nicest thing I can say is that's a real PROBLEM with the policy. Makes boosting even more like gambling than it already was... with even less chance of ROI.   😞

Hi Kelly,

Sorry if my post above was a little confusing. When you boost a proposal, you are only charged what you bid when you receive an eligible interaction or if you are among the top four bidders at the end of the auction, whichever comes first (an auction closes seven days after a job is posted, or when the client hires someone). This only applies to the additional Connects you used to boost the proposal, not those charged for submitting the proposal.

So, in the example you mentioned, if there wasn't an eligible interaction by the time the client canceled a job post and the client didn't hire anyone, both the Connects that were used to submit and boost your proposal are refunded to you.

As another example, let's say the client makes a hire and then cancels the job post. In this case, the auction closed when the client made the hire. If by the time this happens, you are not among the top bidders or don't have an eligible interaction, Connects used to boost your proposal will be refunded. However, the Connects used to submit the proposal are not refunded because the client hired someone else. 

I know that was a lot of information but hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have additional questions, and if there's something wrong with any of your submitted proposals, feel free to share the link to your proposal with me and I'll be happy to take a look.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
kelly_e
Community Member

>>both the Connects that were used to submit and boost your proposal are refunded to you.

Only that's not what happened—on this one

**Edited for Community Guidelines** (link to the job... I don't seem to be able to see my proposal)

—my connects to boost were listed as "refunded," and then immediately RE-CHARGED to me. And the submission connects were not refunded, either. Net being, of course, that the connects  were NOT refunded. See screenshot below.

So I think I understand how it should work, but it definitely didn't work that way in this case.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for following up, I'll be happy to clarify further. There are a lot of variables that go into Connects refunds with Boosted Proposals. In this case, please keep in mind the exception Luiggi mentioned in that part of his reply you're referencing: 

"So, in the example you mentioned, if there wasn't an eligible interaction by the time the client canceled a job post and the client didn't hire anyone, both the Connects that were used to submit and boost your proposal are refunded to you."

If the Connects for submitting a Proposal were refunded to you but not the Connects for Boosting your Proposal, then that means there was an eligible interaction before the client closed the job post without hiring anyone. Eligible interactions include:

• The client opens your proposal
  • The client sends an offer to you
  • The client shortlists your proposal
  • The client messages you
  • The client archives your proposal
  • The client declines your proposal

I hope that clarifies the situation here and please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

~Andrea
Upwork
kelly_e
Community Member

NO connects were refunded. Which I said above. Not the submission connects, nor the boosting connects.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for the confusion, Kelly. If you look a bit further up in your Connects History, you can see that the Connects you used to apply for the job were refunded a couple of days later. Specifically on Jan 25, 2024.

~Andrea
Upwork
kelly_e
Community Member

Okay, I see. I looked for it with the boosting weirdness, but it was two days later.

So on your list—they didn't open it, or I'd have seen a view "eyeball"... they didn't send an offer, decline, or message me, because I get notifs of those... the only "interactions" that are left on your list above are "archive" or "shortlist", otherwise the connects for boosting would have been returned because the entire listing was cancelled without a hire—and these two are things we don't get any notification for, I assume...

So in effect there's no way, on the freelancer side, of understanding why I paid connects for boosting in spite of either the client or Upwork cancelling the listing. It just is what it is.

Is that about right?

tonymori
Community Member

Thank you very much. It´s crystal clear now!

xylan2013
Community Member

How many days/working days until the connects (used to apply job) are refunded after the posted job was cancelled by Upwork? Also I boosted a bid to secure the top spot.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members