🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Weekly Retainer Contract
Page options
abdalazez-hany
Community Member

Weekly Retainer Contract

I got a job with Weekly Retainer Contract. That's the first time for me to work on a contract like this. The client set "0.01$" for "Weekly Payment". I feel that there's a wrong thing in this contract. Could you please help me understand that, to contact my Client? I searched about that on Upwrok, but I didn't find any information about this type of contracts.

I attached a photo from the Contract.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Abdalazez H wrote:
Well I see, but excuse me, this is not my core problem. My core problem shortly is that I'm working on a weekly retainer contract, and it's with 0.01 $ weekly payment. So after I worked on the project for a week. I noticed that I get 0.01 $ from the Report > Overview. So I contacted the client he is worried because he see that he paid me 195$ for the first week. And I got 0.01 $ as a salary. So we want to end this contract and start a new one.

That means the hours you log or track  are automatically billed and charged.

That means, when you work, you track or log hours. That is why it's called an hourly contract. The weekly retainer is in addition to whatever hours you log. If you want to end the current contract and start over, you want the client to pay you something (at least one Dollar) to stop it from hurting your JSS.

Start logging your hours, then you get paid. (even if you use manual time, which is, of course, not protected, but nor is a weekly retainer)

Take a look at the actual contract. That will show you what, if anything, has been paid. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abdalazez,

The contract was originally set up by your client and accepted by yourself with one cent Recurring Weekly Payment ("Salary,") but you can also log hours for this contract.

Please discuss this further with your client in order to avoid any misunderstandings going forward. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you very much for your answer, Bojan.

Well, I contacted my client. He told me because this is the first time in this platfrom he did the contract like this and he want to pay me all the payment now.  And this also is my first time to work on this type of contract. I know that the only way to modify this is to end the contract and rehire me in a new contract. But is this option will help me get paid or I should wait 20,000 weeks to get me money.

If you can help us in this situation.

Hi Abdalazez,

Your client is billed every Monday for the tracked time in the previous week. You and your client can close the contract at any time and your client will still be billed for the tracked hours.
Once this is done your client can hire you a new contract widout adding weekly salary. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello, Goran V.

I know that thanks, but I'd like to get your hand to contact me and my client and solve this problem, because my client said that he already paid me the all payment and I just recieved 0.01 cent this week. So I want you to help us solve this problem, please.

Thanks

Hi Abdalazez,

When you`re working on hourly contracts your clients are automatically billed every Monday for the hours tracked in the previous week. To view in what stage your earnings are, go to Reports > Overview. To learn more about how you`re getting paid on hourly contracts, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Well I see, but excuse me, this is not my core problem. My core problem shortly is that I'm working on a weekly retainer contract, and it's with 0.01 $ weekly payment. So after I worked on the project for a week. I noticed that I get 0.01 $ from the Report > Overview. So I contacted the client he is worried because he see that he paid me 195$ for the first week. And I got 0.01 $ as a salary. So we want to end this contract and start a new one.

My concerns are:
1. If we end the contract. Shall I wait 20,000 weeks to get 195$. As you know I'll get every week 1 cent. That's unbelievable of course.
2. If we refund the payment and start a new one. Will that affect my JSS?
3. Did the client already pay me the payment or he didn't?
4. Is there any option we can do to reduce the loss in the both side?

Please consider this and put me in the right direction 🙏.

Thanks

Abdalazez H wrote:

That means the hours you log or track  are automatically billed and charged.

That means, when you work, you track or log hours. That is why it's called an hourly contract. The weekly retainer is in addition to whatever hours you log. If you want to end the current contract and start over, you want the client to pay you something (at least one Dollar) to stop it from hurting your JSS.

Start logging your hours, then you get paid. (even if you use manual time, which is, of course, not protected, but nor is a weekly retainer)

Take a look at the actual contract. That will show you what, if anything, has been paid. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths